Robot of Sherwood ― III

Start from the beginning

"None of your business."

The guard entered with a frown. "I said, what ails him?"

"Well, if you must know..." The Doctor grinned. "He's having a nervous breakdown."

"A what?"

"He's like this whenever he's in any kind of danger. He just can't seem to cope, he gets so afraid. He goes into a kind of fit. I honestly believe that he may die of sheer fright, like some tiny, shivering little mouse." Robin glared at the Doctor as he spoke and moaned. And just because the Doctor couldn't help himself – "Oh, God, I think he's soiled himself."

"Let him die." The guard brushed it off. "It will save us the trouble of executing him."

The Doctor tilted his head as the guard started to walk back to the door. "And what will happen to the reward?"

Perking up, the guard turned back around. "Reward?"

"Oh, God." The Doctor mocked a grimace. "I shouldn't have said that."

"Tell me!" The guard ordered.

"He carries a vital message. The Prince has promised a bounty."

"A big one?" The guard asked eagerly.

"An enormous one."

Robin mumbled something through his moaning, and the guard turned to him and leaned in. "What's that? Say again?"

"Come closer." Robin wheezed. The guard did, and Robin scowled at him. "Your breath stinks like a serpent. Has anyone ever told you that?" He then proceeded to head-butt the guard, who then fell to the floor, unconscious. Robin promptly looked over at the Doctor. "Soiled myself?"

"Did you?" The Doctor smirked. "That's getting into character." He then spotted the keys on the ground and reached for them with his foot. "Okay, come on, keys!"

"I'll get them." Robin said as he himself tried to reach the keys.

"No, I'll get them."

"I'll get them... I'll get them."

"I'm fine, no, no worries! I've got them!"

"I've got them! I'll get –"

In the two men's scuffle, the keys were soon pushed through a grate before they fell down and dropped into water.

"Well..." The Doctor started. "there is a bright side."

"Which is?" Robin glanced at him.

"Lex didn't see that."

"No, but I did." Clara finally spoke up, making both men look over at her, almost as if they were just remembering that she was there as well. "And can I say... I am absolutely going to love telling her all about it."

"Don't you dare." The Doctor narrowed his eyes at her.

"Now, is that any way to speak to the person who can free you?" She questioned as she held up Lexi's sonic, grinning at the Doctor and Robin's shocked faces. "Didn't think so."

***

"But enough of tawdry matters." The Sheriff stood from his chair and slowly walked towards Lexi, using his dagger to spear a grape before eating it as he went. "Let us talk of softer, sweeter things."

"Ah, lovely." Lexi smiled sweetly, clasping her hands. "That is just as I had hoped."

"It is?" The Sheriff asked her as he leaned against the edge of the table.

"Oh, yes." She nodded. "For I have known I was destined to draw the eye of a great and powerful man for a long time." She then unclasped her hands and picked up a goblet of wine. "It was from the very moment that I saw those mysterious lights in the sky."