Chapter 18

Wednesday, October 4th 2015 10:16 a.m. CST

New Orleans, Louisiana

Lea

She'd been awake when Roel had slipped into bed at almost dawn, but with everything that had happened since her arrival, Lea couldn't bring herself to tell him about the pregnancy yet.

So she'd kept her breathing even, eyes closed and body lax when he'd gently pulled her against his body and kissed the back of her head. For almost an hour, she'd listened to him whisper how much he'd missed her, how much he loved her still, how crazy he had felt without her in his life and how happy he was to be Tyler's dad. He'd told her everything he and his son had talked about, all the emotions he'd felt and the plans he was making for the three of them to be together. Eventually, his words had trailed off and his breathing became deep and slow. Yet, sleep evaded Lea.

There was so much to think about. Roel was a father already. Tyler's mother was dying, and Roel had promised to do everything in his power to save her... for their son's sake. Roel was beta over Mena's pack and Ace's pride. Not only was he living in a hotel with every last one of them, but he was staying in a bedroom with Alex.

Lea liked the cop-really she did-but when Alex kicked the cover off one of his legs and midsection in his sleep and farted, she nearly gagged when the smell got to her a few seconds later. At least he slept in pajama bottoms. Or maybe he'd only put them on to keep her from being uncomfortable in the room alone with him. Regardless, this hotel full of shifters was no place to raise a child.

Ace's cousin could still be alive and looking for Mena. It was dangerous to be here. Not that living with and being the assistant of the city's master vampire was safe or anything, but nobody was trying to kill Phoenix. At least not this week, Lea thought as she rolled her eyes.

Worried, Lea placed a hand on her abdomen. Maybe it would be best if she left everything and everyone behind-start a new life somewhere that supernatural predators couldn't find her child. Nobody knew about the baby, aside from Phoenix. He'd told her that he would understand if she didn't want to raise her son or daughter around vampires. But that had been before she'd given him hope that they might move to New Orleans so that he could be closer to Mena.

Damn! What is his obsession with the Alpha Wolf anyway?

Lea grimaced and let out a soft moan when a wave of nausea hit her hard. Roel didn't stir as she gently slid out of his arms and quietly tip-toed to his bathroom. When the door was shut and locked behind her, she quickly flipped on the faucet and shower, hoping that the running water would muffle the sound of her throwing up.

Oh, who was she kidding? She was in a house full of shifters. The guy or girl the farthest away would be able to hear her upchucking in Roel's toilet.

When her stomach was empty and she was sure the nausea was at bay-at least for the moment-Lea stood, turned off the shower then wet a cloth under the faucet. She jumped and looked at the door when three soft knocks came from the other side.

"Lea?" Roel said in a husky whisper. "You okay, babe?"

She rushed to grab her toiletry bag and quickly found her toothbrush and toothpaste. "Yeah," she said with a trembling voice. "I'll be out in a few minutes. I think I ate something that disagreed with me or something."

Or something came closer to the truth.

"Oh-oh, okay," he said. "Do you need me to get you anything? Nobody here has been human for a while, so we don't really have any sort of medicine, but I can run into the city and get you some Pepto or something if you need it. Want me to ask Tyler if he has anything?"