20. The Drug in Me is You

Start from the beginning

He shook his head. "I want to help you, but this isn't easy for me. Seeing you naked—never mind. Like it or not. I'll do it. Won't be long until your cast comes off."

"You know you can touch me without us having sex. I wish you would." She peered up at him, her bottom lip caught between her teeth.

Gabriel ran his hand over his face and the thought of parting Zari's thighs, the sounds she'd made when he finally pushed her over the edge came unbidden. "Don't say that. It just makes it harder for me to keep my promise."

"To who?"

Holy shit. This is what happened when dick brain did all the thinking. Even though he'd decided to confess everything, it wasn't the right time. "Uh. To your doctors. Remember?"

"Look, it takes me a while, but I can do all this for myself except my bra. From now on, I'll get you to do that first, then you can leave. Just reach under my shirt and unhook it. You won't even have to see me half-naked. Okay?"

"I appreciate it." He backed away and turned to leave. Granted, it's what he wanted, what he should want.

"Gabriel?"

"Yeah?"

"I like that you want me."

He leaned his head against the door. "You have no idea."

She ran her hand up his back. "Yes, I do because I want you so much I ache all over."

And just like that, Gabriel got hard. She might think she understood, but she didn't have a clue. If she knew how long it'd been, she'd watch her tongue. Those few words unraveled his self-control until it hung by a thread and a thin one at that.

God, he couldn't remember ever wanting someone so much and here she stood, naked, willing, and eager. The perfect cocktail for disaster. He could have her, but he wouldn't. Couldn't. Because soon enough, she'd leave, and he'd be left with regret.

He didn't dare face her. If he did, he'd come undone. Those eyes. Pouty lips. Ripping off his fingernails wouldn't be more agonizing. "If I touch you... Let's just get through the next few days, and then we'll have all the sex you want." Not a total lie. What he needed to say was let's get to the part where I tell you I'm not your boyfriend, and if you still want me, then I'm your guy. "If you don't need me for anything else, I'm going to bed."

Within a few minutes, Zari crawled in next to him. Still, in chatty mode, she turned to face him. "I don't think I told you, but I'm going to help your mom with her pie baking. Elena said your mom likes using crazy combinations like oranges and pickles, apples and avocados, bananas and beer. That got me to thinking. What if we incorporate one of those into the crust instead of putting it in the filling? Has she tried that?"

Zari giving this much thought to helping Mom was so damn cute, he wanted to hug her. Even Elena considered his Mom's dedication a waste of time. And Silbie, well, she didn't care one way or the other. Gabriel hated to admit he'd also been indifferent.

"That's a good idea. I don't believe she has. You're sweet to want to help."

"You think I'm sweet?"

She was so close, her warm breath floated across his cheek. He opened his eyes. Shouldn't have. Because in the dim light, she looked so—seductive. He stroked a finger over her temple, then tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "No doubt about it."

Her breath caught, and she shifted to get her body closer, then ran her hand over his chest. "Kiss me. I know you want to, so just do it. There's no need for us to suffer. I promise I won't let you go too far."