Desserts and the Dark Arts

"Greetings and welcome, fellow prefects."

Four pairs of exceptional students occupied the first row of the classroom, each pair successfully isolated themselves from the prefects of other houses with a considerable distance. Esme and Lucious Malfoy were stationed on the furthest end of the bench.

In front of the room stood all the heads of houses, Professor McGonagall, Sprout, Slughorn and Flitwick.

Slughorn grinned animatedly before starting, "The eight of you were handpicked by your head of houses after deep consideration and evaluation. Each of you have demonstrated that you possess the core attributes of your house, and have furthermore proved your capacity to lead your house into its own individual glory," he declared. Being the head of Slytherin, Slughorn's eyes were diligently trained on Esme and Lucious throughout his entire monologue, as if to convey don't let me down.

"I am the eighth prefect to have been selected from my family's bloodline," Lucious disclosed to Esme.

"Fascinating," Esme stated sarcastically her eyes never leaving the front of the room, "I don't remember insinuating that I care, Malfoy," she remarked rendering Lucious silent with her indifference.

"Our Headmaster has appointed you with the mission of protecting our student body and ensuring that we uphold the educational excellency Hogwarts has ensured for centuries." Professor McGonagall informed, "You have been privileged with authority, don't misuse it," she emphasized and subtly glanced at the Slytherin pair.

Esme and Lucious shared a look and insidiously smirked.

"Now, at least two prefects will have the responsibility of monitoring the halls during the night for students wandering past curfew," Professor Sprout squealled.

"Perfect," Lucious stated a nettling grin settled on his face, an ulterior ambition hidden within his hawkish eyes. " I'm certain there'll be an abundance of empty broomstick cupboards for us to occupy."

Esme let out a humorless chuckle that caused chills to ripple down Lucious's spine. "That was a once-an-eon occasion, Malfoy. I have needs and you were simply convenient. And if I hear you bragging a single syllable of your accomplishment to any of your brainless mates, I have an army of third year minions who'd eagerly detach your family jewels on my command, understood?" Esme expressed in the span of a single breath.

Lucious instantly averted his eyes from Esme's hypnotizing emerald ones and managed to grunt in affirmation as his gaze followed Professor Flitwick, who was explaining the repercussions reserved for students who infringed the curfew.

"The pairs of prefects on duty can be of the same house, however we highly encourage you to volunteer to occupy a shift with a prefect from another house to stimulate inter-house bonding," Flitwick added bluntly glancing back and forth suggestively between Lily and Esme, his top two rivaling pupils. "Here's the night shift chart, please sign in for a slot before you leave and don't forget to grab a pamphlet containing the guidelines for novice prefects. Meeting adjourned."

"'Could never bear the thought of spending the night with that mudblood," sneered Malfoy after having collected his pamphlet, he was evidently implying Evans who was engaged in what seemed to be a profound discussion with Remus.

"That mudblood has achieved higher grades than you since first year, Malfoy," stated Esme bluntly while flipping through the pages of the pamphlet. "What credibility are you left with if the magic that you so faithfully claim belongs to the pureblooded, courses more naturally in the veins of a muggle born witch," she concluded before leaving the classroom along with a jaw-slacked Malfoy.