The Last Run {Emrya}

Calvin held my hand tightly as we snuck through the hospital. Blake was alive, somehow, leading us through a couple hallways before we finally found the back emergency exit. Jeremy opens the door, and we all cautiously step out as if seeing the light of day for the first time.

But it was night.

And it may not even get to see the light of day.

"Is Shadeye alright?" I whisper to Evelyn. "I thought that thing got him."

"He'll be alright. Blake jumped out of one of the holes by the cafeteria at the last second," she explains, "the dragon was dead in seconds."

"Damn." Calvin murmurs.

"Would you do that for me?" I ask him, and he raises his brows in surprise at the question.

He scoffs, "Ah, yeah, of course." I smile and squeeze his hand affectionately.

"You totally should."

"Well don't go getting yourself into trouble deliberately!" He whines, and I laugh.

"Keep your voice down," Sapphire scolds me, "I think I hear Lily,"

"What?" I ask rather loudly, and she shushes me.

We all fall silent, and I think I can hear her voice too. Talking to Adrian? I heard something along the lines of, 'over here somewhere' and 'get far'.

"Is she looking for us?" Evelyn frets.

"Shh!" Caleb gently smacks her shoulder. We all freeze and listen.

"Hear that? In the hospital?" I hear her voice loud and clear.

"Go, go, go," Calvin whispers softly, and we quickly hurry away from the hospital. I was going to suggest we switch into animals again, but seeing Blake's current state, and that he had to hold Shadeye, I decided otherwise. We start jogging in some random direction, making me curious.

"Where are we headed now?" I ask.

"See the forest up ahead?" Caleb answers over his shoulder, and I look past him to see the trees. I also notice that there are much fewer holes in the ground around the area.

"Is that the border?" I ask.

"Yeah, that's where it was."

"Oh yeah," I murmur, then get a little sad realizing that a life had to be sacrificed just so we could shut it down. And then more were lost to us along the way of trying to leave.

Was this really worth it?

I squeeze Calvin's hand a little tighter. I wasn't going to allow myself to lose him, or Sapphire, in any case. I'd either live with them or die fighting for them. I won't have it any other way.

We jogged for several minutes. Calvin and I constantly glanced over our shoulders to see if Lily and Adrian had come around the building and spotted us yet. But, shockingly enough, we didn't see them. I was afraid for a while, that they would find and give chase to us, but after the first few minutes of our run, I relaxed.

"I should have joined track." I huff. "Weren't you in track, Ev'?"

She didn't hear me. Whatever. I'm sure she was. And.. Ray...

I'm sad again.

"Shadeye? Can you walk?" Blake suddenly stops, and I slow down beside him. Shadeye seems to be awake now. In Blake's arms, he looks slightly drunken as he replies, "N-no, I can't feel my legs."

"You don't have legs."

"Oh ye—" Shadeye gasps, "What happened?" He's set onto his feet, and Blake carefully fixed his hair so it didn't look so crazy.