Running Lilac Inn

Start from the beginning

"Again, if anything happens, you have any questions, or you find out that it is too much for you, call me at once."

Helen and Nancy nodded as they chorused, "We will!"

"Thank you." Jane let out a huff. "Now time to pry Emily from her room."

"Good luck," chorused the girls as Jane went up the stairs.

A few minutes later, as Nancy and Helen were getting Lilac Inn ready to open, Jane and Emily came down the stairs. Emily was wearing a black sundress with a purple, green, and black floral-patterned shawl that she was gripping tightly. Her eyes were red.

"Emily?" Helen rushed forward and wrapped her arms around her. "Are you going to be alright?"

Emily sniffled, but she gave a brave smile. "I think so, I certainly hope so."

"Well, take this time to reminisce about your mother, all the good times," said Nancy as she came forward to hug Emily. She turned and hugged Jane. "I'm sure the both of you will feel better for it."

"Oh, I certainly hope so," said Jane as she returned the hug warmly. As she stepped back from the hug, she wiped a tear from her eye. "It certainly will help me connect with Emily better." She smiled as she rubbed Emily's arm reassuringly. Emily smiled back.

"You're right. I haven't been a very good hostess."

"Oh, but darling, who can blame you? Your mother dies, and in comes a woman from your mother's past whom you've never met, plus caring for the inn and your mother's explicit wish that you finish high school? It's a lot for a girl your age to handle." Jane patted her shoulder. "Besides, what's done is done. We can only move forward from here."

Nancy smiled at them. "Jane's right, you know."

"Based on your experience, Nancy, is there any advice you could give us?"

Helen was about to answer when Nancy spoke. "Well, um, it won't be easy. Take it one step at a time. And, and no matter what anyone else says, no, no the grief won't ever go away, fully. One day, you see something, or hear something that will remind you so, so much of your mom that you will have no choice but to break down and cry. Best thing to do is let it all out. Alone, even, if you have to, or want to. But, it's usually best to have someone you know, someone who cares about you, just holding you. Nothing needs to be said, you just need to get the tears out." Nancy wiped a few tears from her eyes. "Well, that, that's all I can think of."

Emily sniffled as she hugged Nancy. "Thank you, it's more than I had hoped."

Nancy returned the hug with a tight squeeze. "You're welcome. Now, you two shouldn't waste any more time. Lilac Inn is going to open in a few minutes. Don't need you two hanging around, watching us like mother hens."

Emily chuckled. "I guess not."

Jane laughed. "You're right Nancy. Let's get going and let these two prove just how capable they are at running an inn."

"Have a good trip," said Helen, sending them off with a wave.

"Thank you! Hope the customers are cooperative today!" said Jane as the two were walking out the door.

"Good luck!" said Emily with a wave before they exited the building.

"Thanks!" called out Nancy and Helen before turning back to finishing preparations for opening.

The breakfast and brunch crowds were pretty cheerful, especially once they had their coffee. But they were a pretty easy crowd to please. Many knew about Nancy at least, thanks to many knowing of her father's work, or have at least consulted him in the past. As soon as they found out why Nancy and Helen were there, many offered to help in any way they could, most of those ended up in larger tips than usual. At least, according to Mary Mason. She sought them out during a slow period between brunch and lunch.