forty-three: final conflict

"MJ!" I call through the crowded hallway, squeezing myself in between students and backpacks.

"I'm skipping fourth, wanna join?" I offer with a smirk, wiggling my eyebrows up and down.

"Are you being serious this time?" She sighs.

"Yes - "

"The last three times you said this, you chickened out." She laughs. "You're such a little goody-two-shoes, it's funny."

"I'm being serious," I laughed. "I'm tired, I think I wanna take a nap."

"Can't. Unfortunately, I have a presentation fourth period. Maybe another day, if you're still in this rebellious phase." MJ jokes, and I roll my eyes.

"Oh, shut up." I chuckle just as the bell rings.

"Alright, see ya." MJ says before faking a salute and wandering into her next class. I laugh and shake my head, going about my day.

Eventually, fourth period arrives and I slowly make my way to the restroom, minding my own business. In all honesty, I'm the most innocent out there, and I haven't skipped a single class once. So, naturally I'm all fidgety and nervous. I just plan to sit in the corner of the bathroom and listen to my music, maybe do a little homework and fall asleep even. Can't be too bad, right?

"Mads."

"Ye - " I cut myself when I turn around, my eyes falling onto Peter, who I literally haven't spoken to in a good week and a half. I start to turn around, but he sets a warm hand on my shoulder firmly.

"No, we need to talk." He chuckles sarcastically, no trace of a smile on his lips.

"Okay, I - "

"C'mon." He mutters before leading me around the corner to a completely empty hallway. He's never like this. I'm kind of terrified.

"Okay, Mads, this is ridiculous. What did I do this time?" He asks, throwing his hands up dramatically. I chew on my bottom lip.

"I'm sorry. Please don't get me wrong, I'm really not mad, I'm just kind of hurt, you know? You've completely, like, completely shut me out this past week and I have no clue what I could've done." He pauses, giving me a chance to say something. I don't, so he starts again.

"I'm really not mad. I'm just confused. And hurt, and I just don't understand what's going on. I mean, I care about you, Mads. Like, so much. I'm worried about you." He continues, his big brown eyes growing soft.

God. I just wanna tell you everything. I just want to wrap you into this giant hug and tell you absolutely everything.

"So, I mean, can you at least give me something? I think it's the least I deserve." As Peter pleads, my eyes start to well up with tears. My lips part but no words escape. The bell rings, neither one of us move.

And cry. I want to cry.

"I mean...you told Ned that something happened between us. You could at least tell me whatever it is that happened, because I really don't know." He continues quietly. I cast my gaze to the floor with guilt.

"Is it what happened when you came over the other week? When we almost...I mean..." Peter trails off, his eyes searching into mine.

"When we almost kissed?" I finish for him, returning my gaze to the floor once more. He sighs. "No. It's not about that at all."

"I literally cannot think of anything else it could be. What's wrong? What happened? What did I do?"

"You didn't do anything," I mutter, squeezing my eyes shut.

"Mads, you've gotta - "

"Mr. Parker, Miss Lee!" Miss Bostra's voice echoes down the empty hallway. Her small heels click in perfect sync on the tile as she makes her way towards us. Peter takes a step away from me.

"Good morning, Miss Bostra." I murmur with a smile, glancing at my favorite teacher.

"Morning," she sighs, clapping her hands together. "why aren't you two in class?"

Her eyes dart between Peter and I as the two of us search for some excuse.

"Uhm." Peter starts.

"Searching for moral conflict?" I offer with a shrug.

"Nice try. Lunch detention for you two. Unfortunately, I don't make exceptions for my favorite students." Miss Bostra says before waving us off, sending a wink in my direction. I laugh before turning on my heel, passing a nervous glance towards Peter and arriving late to my fourth period class.