twelve: avalanche [part one]

I slip into the white suit quietly, cracking my door open to make sure everyone is asleep. All of the lights are off, and Lucas's door is closed, as well as my mom's. I close my door and silently walk over to my window, sliding the glass up and slipping out of the window. I may be grounded, but my mom never put a lock on my window or anything, so I can still sneak out.

I crawl out onto the brick wall, closing the window with my toes. I continue to crawl up the wall until I get to the roof and start swinging through the air on webs that shoot from my wrists.

I leap onto the roof of some random building and walk to the edge, sitting on my knees and peeking down onto the street.

I watch as pedestrians slowly make their way down the sidewalks, and as cars drive down the street, some parking in the side of the road.

"Look!" Somebody shouts. My head shoots in the direction it came from, and I watch as a guy points at me. His friend lifts up his phone in my direction. I leap to my feet and shoot a web, swinging over to the other side of the street.

I land on the roof silently, turning around to face the guys slowly.

"Was that...?" I hear somebody say.

"Is that the Spider-Man?" Somebody else says.

"No, you idiot, it's the Spider-Woman." I hear somebody else reply. I swallow and step closer to the edge of the building.

The few that see me hold up their phones. I bite my lip and look around.

"Do you work with the Spider-Man?" A woman shouts, lifting her phone up to me as well. I watch as the flash turns on, and stays on. She's recording me.

"Uh..." I start.

"What about the avengers? Do you know them?" Somebody else calls.

"No. I...I don't work with or know the avengers." I start, biting my lip. Is it smart to do this?

Without another word, I shoot a web at a much taller building, letting it bring me up. I perch on the wall, looking down at the civilians for a second, before leaping off of the building and descending down, shooting another web and swinging through the air. My stomach drops and I hold back a giggle as I continue shooting webs, making my way through Queens.

I eventually stop, landing lightly on my toes on an empty street. I look around. It's unusually quiet, and nobody is in sight. There aren't even cars on the road. Many of the shops are closed.

I soon realize this is near my father's workplace. It's late, maybe I could just get a glimpse of him. Just to make sure he's coming home. Then, I hear distant footsteps, and the clank of metal. I turn around slowly as the footsteps get closer, walking down to where the road makes a sharp turn. I peek around the corner, watching as a tall, muscular man makes his way down the road. He has a metal suit on, and wears a metal helmet. I don't need to look long, I already know that it's the Avalanche guy.

I watch him turn a corner and head down the sixty-third street, the street my father works on. Then, I see Dad. He's in a suit, like usual, and he's heading for his car. Like usual, he was the only one working late. I freeze once Avalanche sees him.

I can't just jump it now. What if he goes straight for Dad? Oh, god...what do I do?

Dad hears him, anyone could, with the way his metal clanks. I watch as my dad slowly turns around to face him. He stands directly under a street lamp, and I watch his face go pale.

"Someone's out late." Avalanche growls.

Screw it.

I leap off of the building and land right in between Avalanche and my father, my fists clenched.