Chapter 1

My name is Cordelia Morrow, Cordy for short. My father is Clay Morrow. Gemma Teller is not my biological mother, but she's the only mother I've ever known. Jax isn't my brother by blood, but it doesn't matter. It never has, and it never will.

I grew up around motorcycles and cars. I learned early on that I was good with engines. I've been fixing cars and motorcycles since I was fourteen. I was good enough that Clay gave me a job at the shop during the summer and on the weekend while I was still in school. When I graduated, I went full time.

I was never in on the "club business", but I worked with the Sons every day, so of course I had some vague ideas about what was going on.

Clay made it clear early on that I was off limits and that I was to be protected. Jax and Opie saw to it that none of the older guys messed with me or were inappropriate.

When I turned 18, I made it clear that I could give as good as I got. I didn't mind being treated like one of the guys. As long as Clay didn't hear what was being said, there was no one to care.

Tig liked to screw with the new prospects, and I liked to play along because it was pretty funny. We'd let them think I was a crow eater, and not off limits. Tig would convince them that they needed to come over and flirt with me.

Of course it was always a setup, because Tig, Chibs, and Opie would swoop in and berate them the moment the new prospects tried to touch me.

When I wasn't in the garage, fixing anything and everything, I tried to help Gemma in the office, or just cleaning up the clubhouse....

My house was a few blocks away from the compound. After David died, I would go over late at night and get a head start on the next day's work when I couldn't sleep.

"You're here late, Lass," Chibs commented from behind me when I was in the garage on one of my sleepless nights.

I jumped, nearly dropping my wrench on my foot. "I couldn't sleep. At least this is productive," I replied.

"Come on in, and have a drink. That'll put you to sleep," he said. "It's a tame night. No croweaters."

That actually made the drink sound tempting. I put the wrench down and wiped my hands on a rag before walking his way. He put an arm around me, and walked me inside. "One drink," I told him.

Chibs and I have been having a weird thing. Something changed, and our conversations were deeper than normal, but also had a flirty tone to them when no one else was around. He's gotten a little touchy feely, but nothing inappropriate. I think Clay would blow a fuse if he ever found out it was anything more than he thought.

Chibs pushed me through the door ahead of him. "Look who I found," he announced as the door closed behind us.

"What the hell are you still doin' here, Cordy?" Tig asked. "Actually, what are you doing back here? I put you in your car at six."

"Couldn't sleep," I replied.

"Come drink with us," Tig grinned, getting up to get me a drink.

I dropped down on the couch next to Juice. Clay cocked an eyebrow at my choice of seat. "Don't start that crap. It's a seat on a couch. Would it make you feel better if I curled up next to Chibs? Maybe Tig?"

"No. You're probably safest where you are," Clay gave in.

I took my drink from Tig. It was whiskey.

"Why is it so dead in here tonight?"

"Rough day," Juice replied.

"I'm guessing Jax is with Tara," I mused, taking a gulp of my drink.

"That would be correct, Lass," Chibs replied. "But the question remains, why are ya here with a bunch of old men instead of out with someone you're own age?"

I drained my drink, "Technically, this one is my age," I said, gesturing to Juice, putting my hand down on his leg, giving it a squeeze.

"You know the rule," Clay piped up.

"But I ask, how am I ever going to meet someone when these guys scare anyone away?" I asked. "Is Kozik off limits? Technically he's not a member of this charter."

I've never seen Tig react so quickly. "Call the vote. I won't dispute it!"

I laughed. I told Kozik that I knew how to get him patched in quicker than anything. He was skeptical clear up until he got his patch.

After awhile, I finally yawned, leaning against Juice's shoulder. "Alright, Lass, I think that's the sign it's time for you to go home to bed," Chibs said. He stood and offered me a hand to help me stand. I took it and he pulled me up quickly. "I'll walk you to your car," he said.

Once we were out in cool night air, he put his arm around me again. "You really shouldn't hang on Juicy Boy. Might give him the wrong ideas," Chibs told me when we were outside.

I chuckled to myself a little bit. I could feel the jealousy radiating off him. "Are you really jealous of Juice?" I asked.

"No. I just don't want Clay to kill him because he thinks you like him and he wants more. Juice is a good kid."

I leaned against my car, and he stood close, trapping me in place. I looked innocently up at him. "Admit it, you like the sneaking around bit of all this. It's the fun part, thrill of the chase and all that."

"No, Lass, the sex is the fun part," he replied, leaning down to kiss me. I pulled back just enough to make the point.

"You're going to have to work a little harder than that. I'm not some croweater who'll come when you call," I told him when I pulled away. I turned and reached through the open window to open my car door, before slipping inside. "Goodnight Chibs."

"Aye. Goodnight, Cordelia."

I drove home to my empty house. I closed and locked the door behind me before I let myself think about what just happened. "Damn. That was a little too close for comfort," I mumbled as I headed up to bed.