Chapter One: Not Hero Material

Eyyyy, first chapter is up. I'll be working on Black next (probably). Let me know what y'all think!

_______________

The older gentleman stood by himself in the early morning light. Behind him was a tall gray, blue, and white castle that stood as a beacon of hope and a promise. Few lights were on in the castle, but this man paid no mind to the mighty building behind him. His amber eyes were cast upwards at a shimmery shield that bubbled around the area. It was hard to see unless one knew what they were looking for, and this man did. A worried sigh slipped from his lips as he ran a hand through his dark hair. Years of stress formed wisps of silver and gray amongst the other dark strands on his head. Slowly, he pulled a pair of dark sunglasses from his coat pocket and slipped them onto his face. He focused his eyes forward to his surroundings.

There were only a few people walking about. Each of them wore a brightly colored uniform as they went about their day preparing for the main gates to open. Not a single one of these Disney workers could see him standing in front of the castle and that was because he was different in many aspects.

For one, he didn’t wear a silly costume and nametag. He wore black pants tucked into dark brown and silver boots. He wore a long red coat over it with a blue and brown belt that wrapped around his waist. The coat left sleeve was long and went down to his hands, but the right sleeve was torn away to make room for something else. His right arm was covered in a bulky, thick suit of armor. A tan colored metal coated his arm in the shape of a knight’s armor. It had intricate accents of blue and green decorating it in a boxy design. Not an inch of flesh on his right arm was shown through the metal.

Secondly, he wasn’t a part of these worker’s world. At least, not right now he wasn’t. At the moment, this man stood between two worlds and could only see the shadows of both. Each person he saw looked ghost like in the fact that they were somewhat see through. He couldn’t interact with any of them while standing between the two worlds, he could only watch as they went about their day.

“Auron.”

The man turned his head to see someone walking toward him. It was a familiar face, short dirty blond hair, blue eyes, and an annoyed scowl. Goggles were hanging around his neck and an unlit cigarette hung from his lips. He wore a light blue shirt covered in the occasional grease stain and khaki pants. This man wasn’t see through like the others. He too stood between two worlds at the moment.

“Cid.” Auron nodded his head in greeting, “What is it?”

“Just wonderin’ where the hell you went off to. Shinra’s throwing a hissy fit about the fact that you missed his meeting.” Cid shook his head. He had volunteered to leave the meeting to find their beloved leader only so he could miss out on meeting as well.

Auron glanced up again, “I wanted to check the shield. See it’s condition.”

Cid glanced up and narrowed his eyes in concentration. It took him a bit longer to find the shimmery outline than it did Auron. “You know staring at the damn thing aint gonna make it any stronger.”

A small smile graced Auron’s lips at his friend’s bluntness. He had known Cid Highwind for many years. They worked closely together until Cid retired from the business of protection three years ago, “I didn’t realize you were an expert on the worlds barrier, Cid.”