"I don't want you to ride a motorcycle though," she mumbled and I gave out a chuckle.

.

Faye

"Would you believe it, Faye? Debbie is bringing a date tomorrow night!" Maryse was blabbering whilst I was busy arranging Amanda's things on her desk. Actually, the whole office was. Blabbering about tomorrow night's event, what they'll be wearing and who they were taking as dates.

What are you wearing tomorrow, Faye?

Oh besides my undies? Nothing.

Who are you taking?

Em, I have a husband but at the moment, we're playing the ignoring game where the one that stand longer at not talking to the other wins.

"So what are your plans for tomorrow's ball? Are you taking Mr. Superstar with you?" asked Maryse.

Without looking, I replied, "I don't even have a dress," embarrassed, especially because she had been talking about that purple dress her wealthy husband bought for her and how excited she was to wear it.

"What?" she exclaimed. "Oh no, Faye. C'mon. Don't tell me you're not coming. We can buy you a dress tonight or I can lend you one." I knew she'd say that.

"I thought it's clear to you, ladies, that when I come in my office, I don't want to see anyone in here." Oops.

Maryse and I hastily turned around to face our infuriated boss. "We're sorry, Amanda." It was Maryse who spoke. "We're leaving now," and she quickly dragged us out of the room that I almost stumbled.

.

It was my time-out at six o'clock and supposed I was to go home. But I still had to deliver this huge white rectangular box to Amanda at her address. She went home early this afternoon and told me she was waiting for a package that was to be sent to her office. She had left when the package arrived so she called to ask me to bring it to her at her condominium and all I can say was "Ugh!"

I wound up knocking on a dark wooden door where some kind of unlocking machine that detects the owner's finger print was mounted.

"Who is it?" a voice startled me. It was disembodied and sounded like Amanda's when on the phone.

"Em, uh, Faye," I stuttered.

The door opened wide and a gray empty hallway welcomed me in. Struggling with the massive box, I walked in and sought for the one who opened the door. There was no one there. Blimey.

Maybe the door was automatic or remote-controlled, I thought. Ooh, future.

I strolled down the hallway and I was led to the living area where the only colors seen were gray, black, white and silver. The room has a minimalist design, almost like her office. The astonishing view of the city out the fixed windows of the room took my breath away and never returned it. The city lights like stars that had fallen on earth satisfied my eyes. I was too struck that I hadn't noticed Amanda in a black satin robe lounging on the white L-shaped sofa reading a Dan Brown and drinking whiskey. I wondered if she was aware of my presence. "Here's your package, Amanda. Where do you wish me to place it?"

"Put it on the center table, please." I did what she said.

and, "Anything else you want me to do?"

"None."

"Then I guess I'll be leaving now. Have a good night, Amanda."

"Just a minute," she stopped me before I could turn away.