18 August 2004

"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." — Batman

"Well, always a pleasure to see you again Spooky."

Batman audibly groaned as he heard the voice of the guy who 'annoyed' him. In truth, he never really hated Hal Jordan. He just did not like the way the guy acted sometimes. And why ever would he care?

"What do you want, Lantern? You know I do not want any other heroes in my city."
He continued to analyze a blood sample picked up from a raid a good five minutes ago. He could hear Lantern shifting positions, his feet scuffling against the metal grate ground and the squeak of a chair. Either he was leaning against it or sitting in it. Batman took the former.
"I heard a rumor about a shipment of Taliskaian weaponry being sent to Gotham. I need to check it out."

"Go home before you ruin another part of Gotham. Need I remind you of what happened the last time you came into my city?" Batman growled. It was a pain in the ass getting information after that car wreck.

"I think people were more scared of the giant green dragon that appeared out of nowhere. Anyways, I brought my son with me." Batman abruptly turned around and glared at the Lanterns, analyzing the four foot five teenager that was standing beside his father. They had the same hair style, except the boy's was a little longer and he had a lighter color. The boy also had a softer, more feminine facial structure and lithe body, unlike Hal's well-built one (not that he would ever admit it). The last difference between them was the fact that Green Lantern's kid was a White Lantern. "Too much power in the hands of a child. How...surprising."

"Why is he here? Gotham is no place for a kid wearing a ring."

"Lots of kids wear rings. Mine's special." Came the retort Batman was just waiting for. He growled and let his cape dramatically fly as he swiveled back around. "And there goes the drama queen again. All right Spooky! Kol and I are just going to explore Gotham so have fun diddling with that blood."

He waited until they were gone to sigh and let his shoulders relax. He heard footsteps echo through the cave and turned to the staircase to see his own son, Draco, walking down the steps in full costume.

"Should we not be following them to make sure they aren't killed?" Batman frowned and grunted in response, gaining a glare from his own son. "Come on. I know deep down you care about him, no matter how much you try to deny it. Besides..."

Batman's hands froze when he heard the next three words out of Lazarus' mouth. He sighed and slammed his palms against the desk before bringing out the Bat-mobile.
"I thought you would have learned from Elsa. You can't fall in love with a person you just met. Especially when you haven't properly introduced yourselves to each other." Draco froze in the car seat before smirking.

"Looks like Dick grew on you. I never thought you would quote a Disney princess." Batman glared at his son, but the Bat-glare only worked on those who weren't family...or at least did not know Bruce Wayne. "This is priceless!" The kid laughed. He laughed even harder when Batman replied, "Elsa is a queen, not a princess." Now disgruntled, the Gotham Knight focused on the road ahead, occasionally checking the sky for glimpses of green and white.

When they were in sight of the Gotham Harbor, Batman had to press hard on the brakes. Green Lantern and White Lantern were fighting aliens...aliens in his city. They were tall and resembled the structure of Darkseid's minions without the wings and thinner.

Lazarus gasped as White Lantern fell to the ground in front of them and he was forced onto their car by three aliens. The car jostled as Kol struggled to get them off. One grabbed his hair and banged his head against the glass until the brunette was limp. From their view, the two knights of Gotham could see a small pool of blood coming from the back of his head. A glow surrounded the lithe body before the white suit disappeared, leaving the boy in his civilian clothes.

"And this is where we get out of the car and help them." Lazarus said as he jumped out of the car and kicked two of the aliens off their victim. Batman handled the last one as Lazarus healed the brunet's head.
He watched as beautiful peridot eyes looked into his, sending him into an abyss of sparkling green. "Are you okay?"

"Behind you.."

He heard the alien before seeing it. He unsheathed his sword and swung it around, slicing the enemy in half. Green blood poured out from both half, causing Lazarus to look away in disgust. He saw a flash of white and looked behind him. White Lantern was up and fighting again, nailing an alien in the face with a glowing white sledgehammer.

It took about half an hour to clear the docks of aliens. Green Lantern was being reprimanded by Batman once again while Lazarus healed White Lantern of minor scratches and burns. Turned out that the aliens were portable flamethrowers, breathing fire from their mouth. White Lantern had shielded Lazarus and Batman from being cooked turkeys, but in the process, he was burned badly as the fire traveled through his construct. Batman had thanked him afterwards, which was something rare for him to do.

When it was time for the Lanterns to leave for Oa with the weaponry, Lazarus stopped White Lantern and asked, "Can I see you again soon? I'd really like to get to know you better." Green Lantern and Batman both scowled, knowing that their protégés were becoming too close for their first meeting. Too close for their parent's liking.

Nevertheless, White Lantern smiled and as he floated away to the sky, he replied, "We'll see each other soon. For now, I have to go. It was nice meeting you!" Green Lantern smirked and nonchalantly said to Batman, "Looks like you'll be seein' more of me around." The dark knight's scowl deepened. Green Lantern laughed teasingly and flew into space alongside his son.

When Batman knew they were gone, he turned to face Lazarus and said, "We need to work on your finesse." Then he left to get the car, his son contemplating his words.

"Sometimes the truth isn't good enough, sometimes people deserve more. Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded." — Batman