four.

monday came fast, and tj and cyrus hadn't talked since the friday car-makeout. tj was dreading today, because he knew reed and lester would ask about-

"show us the vid, kippen!" reed said excitedly, sliding next to tj on the lunch table.

tj took a sharp breath. "oh, well, my phone died so i couldn't get it on camera." he lied.

lester rolled his eyes. "yeah, classic tj, always being lazy and not recording his epic breakups."

"ohhh, i know what happened!" reed laughed, making tj nervous.

"y-you do?" tj's voice cracked.

"yeah, bro! he broke up with YOU! loser." reed went into a fit of laughs, and tj awkwardly joined.

"yep...i was so embarrassed. i deleted the video off my phone. sorry guys." he fake laughed.

"eh, man, it happens to the best of us, don't sweat it." lester punched his shoulder, before getting up and heading to his first class.

-

cyrus, of course, didn't tell anybody. he couldn't. all his friends seemed to hate tj. and him and tj having this unofficial thing probably made it worse.

of course, tj only talked to him after lunch, in the one class they had together. nobody suspected anything, because when tj kippen dated a boy,

tj kippen dated a boy.

very publicly.

so, this was very secret.

-

"cyrus! hey! earth to cyrus?"

"what?" cyrus snapped back to reality. he wasn't paying attention to a single word any of his friends were saying.

"i said, we should hang out tonight. you, marty, jonah, buffy and i." andi piped in.

"y-yeah! sure!" cyrus smiled widely. his first hangout with friends. nice.

"we've got this hangout," marty spoke up. "the spoon. it's got great milkshakes and tater tots, but they're called baby taters there."

"sounds great! i'd love to join you guys." cyrus smiled sincerely.

what he didn't know, was reed and lester were watching from the distance.

-

"dude, if he broke up with him, it kinda means he's top dog. we can't let him in the way of tj's flowww." lester said, still looking over as cyrus and his friends were sitting. he moved his arm in a wave movement in front of him as he said 'flow'.

"i don't know, there has to be something more to the story. tj's been awfully happy lately." reed queried.

"man, i'm telling you! that cyrus kid is up to something." lester gestured towards cyrus.

"who's up to something?" tj sat down at the table with his tray.

"cy-" reed slapped a hand on lester's mouth.

"lester's mom. lester's suspecting she's having an affair with....mr.brand." reed interrupted, taking his hand off lesters hand after finishing his sentence.

"seriously?! dude, that's harsh." tj put a hand on lester's shoulder.

"yeah, it is, man." lester coughed after speaking, he hated lying to his friends. especially tj.

tj had already gone through so much. his parents divorce, his dad's new wife, neglection from both parents, constantly looking after his sisters. lester hated lying to him, it would hurt him more when he found out it was lie.

"so, uh, i was thinking, the theater in town is showing a bootleg of heathers, would either of you wanna go with me and my sister?" lester quickly changed the subject.

"bro, that's so gay." reed laughed, getting glare from tj. when he noticed it, he gulped. "sorry."

"i'd like to go." tj smiled. "though, please tell libby that we need to hang out more. i feel like i know more sign than you and reed combined!"

"yeah, i will. the sister i'm going with is kathy, though, she's been a theatre nerd lately." lester laughed.

"i'll be there." tj chuckled.

lester sighed.

please don't let him find out he lied.