TEN - We Leave Together

Start from the beginning

Only when he didn't let me in, how could I trust him? And if I didn't back him up, why would he let me in? It was like a miserable circle of doom.

What if St. Claire thought he could beat James in a fight.

But that was impossible. James was a warrior wolf. In wolf shape St. Claire would have no shot. In human form...I wasn't sure. I hadn't seen James fight as a human enough to judge and never St. Claire. But James had to be better than St. Claire. Didn't he?

I needed to find those keys. Needed to get Robin and myself out of here. Maybe if we didn't tell James there would be no need for a challenge. No fight. That would be good. Right?

There you are, not willing to trust him, again. Making the choice for him because you aren't sure you'll like his decision.

Ignoring that little voice - because maybe not telling, even if it was a slight betrayal of trust, would keep James safe - I decided to put my full attention to finding a way out.

The power was off and when I experimentally knocked one of the left behind phones off it's base, there was no signal so there was no chance of calling anyone. So keys were my best bet.

Where might one hide a spare set?

If I was a cop, where would I hide something?

Since going through drawers and shelves wasn't exactly easy with paws, I shifted back to human, grabbing a musty left behind police jacket for cover.

Then I began my search, emptying and checking all possible places I could imagine one might store an extra set of keys.

Nothing.

I found a changing/break room type of area and went through the lockers there.

Nada.

I went back to the corridor with the cells.

"Hey, guys, you got any ideas for where someone might hide a spare set of keys?" I asked them, hoping they'd have some brilliant idea for a place I hadn't thought off.

"I saw someone hide a key behind a painting once," Greg offered.

There were no paintings in the police station.

"No art. Robin?"

"Taped to the bottom of a drawer," Robin suggested after a long minute. "Or in the vents."

"I'll check," I called back and went to check the bottoms and backs of all the drawer's I'd pulled out.

There was no key tape to them, I did find a chocolate bar that expired two years ago. Not sure why someone would feel the need to tape it to the bottom of a drawer. Vents held nothing but more dust. Neither did the space behind the water cooler or the printer's paper compartments.

"No joy," I told the guys, zipping the jacket up to make sure I wouldn't flash Greg as I moved past his cell to Robin's.

"The outside doors locked?" Robin asked. He was up, standing by the bar, looking a lot more alert.

"I didn't check," I told him. "They don't look super solid. When I get you through the bars, you can worry about the doors."

"No keys, and as much as I'd like to claim super strength powerful enough to bend these bars, I doubt even James could, calling upon the whole pack's strength," Robin said, smiling a frustrated smile. "I'm stuck in here."

"I'll get you out," I told him, not liking the direction of this conversation.

He shook his head. "No key. Said so yourself. You gotta go."

"What if I could summon the pack's strength?" I suggested, grabbing the bars. I closed my eyes, trying to reach out to James, to the pack.

But I only found Robin. And his and my strength alone wasn't enough.

James, I tried. Please sense me. Let me in. Help me. Not for me or us, but for Robin. I can't leave him here.

'Megan,' Robin said, his hands closing around mine on the bars. Then I realized he hadn't spoken, he was communicating through the pack bonds. With words. That was unusual. My wolf mostly used feelings, impressions, pictures to communicate. 'You need to go'.

"No," I said, pulling my hands out and away from his. "We're going together. All of us. Greg too. Okay?"

"Get out of here, find a phone, get the pack down here, then come back for me," he said, trying to make the words commands. But he was Beta. I was Alpha.

"No," I hissed at him. Frustrated and worried I stuck my hands into the deep pockets of the jacket.

Then smiled.

Because my right hand had just closed around a set of keys.

_______

A/N: Yeah so I said this was going to be a James' chapter but I'm having some trouble getting that one done so you got this one instead. Also got some deleted/ extras scenes type of stuff, I thought I might be fun to post in a sperate book if that's something you guys want to see?