Chapter 12

James lay on his bed staring at the ceiling, thinking about absolutely nothing. At this point it seemed impossible for him to think about anything. His mind was completely blank and he couldn't help it. He just lay there, trying to stop himself from losing his mind.

Had that really just happened, or was it a dream? It couldn't be real, but it felt like it really was. He paced back and forth around his room as the floorboards creaked under his feet. It was a Sunday, so the boys had already gone down to have breakfast. All except for Sirius.

"Can you stop making so much noise? I'm really trying to sleep here." he groaned, stretching and yawning.

"I just couldn't sleep."

"And that gives you the energy to pace back and forth for fifteen minutes nonstop?"

"... Yes."

"This is about her isn't it?"

"That depends on who you're talking about when you say 'her'. "

"I'm talking about the person you went on a date with!" he almost yelled, "So? How'd it go?"

"The worst thing is... I don't know. We laughed like friends. It was refreshing, but not what I wanted."

"And what does she want?"

"I don't know."

"You're drawing a blank here, mate."

"You think I don't know that?" He said, feeling angry possibly from the lack of sleep, possibly from his actual emotions. It was hard to tell at this point. "Do you think that if I knew I would be pacing around the room instead of talking to her?"

"Is that what you want? To talk to her?"

"Well yes."

"Then do it. Don't think about it, don't try to explain what you want to do. Just do it. No strings attached."

"It's not that simple..."

"Why not? You haven't ever struggled this much with what you feel and I can tell it's killing you, so stop struggling."

And James didn't wait to answer. He almost didn't hear Sirius yelling after him to come back. He just crossed the entire school to make it to the dungeons. Unfortunately, there was one problem with the 'no thinking' plan.

"The password." James muttered to himself. He must have tried about a thousand combinations of passwords in the next hour, and he had given up, when the door opened, and a special someone came out.

"Robin!" he yelled after the girl who didn't notice him. "I need to say something."

"Well go on," she said with a lopsided grin, "don't let my presence stop you. What did you want to say?"

"Um... I don't know." he said, cursing at himself. "Why do I listen to Sirius?"

"Sirius? I didn't think he was a big Slytherin believer."

"He's not. But he believes in me."

"Some nice friends you have." she said, a hint of bitterness in her voice.

"If we're a couple, you can share them."

Robin laughed "I'll think about it." she gave him a quick peck on the cheek,before running off to the Great Hall.