Chapter Nine - Why Me?

I heard about Axel being in the hospital. It's all my fault. If I wasn't such a stupid elephant I wouldn't be feeling like a fence.

"Hannah." Mum summoned me.

I ran down the stairs and found her sitting on the couch, a box on her lap.

I sat down next to her, sinking into the cushions.

"I should have given you this a long time ago." She mumbled, handing me the box. The bottom of it had a velvet sort of feel, yet the box was wooden and clasped shut with a lock.

"You remember that key Axel gave you that one day?" mum asked me.

"Yeah..." I nodded, glancing at the key on a chain around my neck.

"Well, open your box." she told me.

I untied the chain from my neck and let the key swing into my hand. I pushed the key into the cutout and turned it until it clicked.

I placed my hands over the lid and wrenched it open.

An envelope.

For your 15th birthday.

That's what was neatly printed on the front. I turned the envelope over.

"Mum," I started.

"Yes?" she asked.

"If Axel gave me they key, why is the letter from Ripley?" I asked.

She snapped her neck turning to face me. I ripped the envelope open.

A photograph.

"Mum is that you and her mum?" I asked her.

Mum stared at the photo for a long long time.

"No. That's you and Ripley." Mum muttered.

"But I only met her-"

"No. You guys were best friends when you were little." She interrupted.

"I am so confused. I thought you hated her mum." I said, closing the box and placing it beside me.

"Look, there's a long story behind the whole thing. Her husband is your father. You see, your dad and I were married. That's where you and Zac and Georgia came from. But your father didn't love us anymore. He moved away and well...Ripley is also his. You two are what we would call-"

"Step sisters?" I interrupted.

She nodded.

I've fallen in love with my step sister?!

What is wrong with me?

Why me?

Why?