𝐈.𝐯𝐢𝐢. Praises Versus Apologies

mads' note !
chapter five has more reads than chapter four and ik it's because y'all want to skip to the good stuff ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

info !
1.3K words
published on apr 25, 2019
edited aug 12, 2022

CHAPTER I.VII.

          QUESTIONS. CAMERAS. SHOUTING. FLASHING. The crowd of reporters that had gathered around you was suffocating after your very first mission.

"Who are you?"

You smiled and waved.

"What more can you tell us about your powers?"

You opened your mouth to speak only to be cut off by another reporter with an insistent question.

"Have you always been a member of the Umbrella Academy?"

You smiled again, more nervously than before.

"Are there any other children that we're unaware of?"

At this one, you winced. You hated lying about Viktor. You hated keeping him out of the limelight. You hated taking his code name, but you had no choice.

You'd never tell him that "Number Seven" was what you went by in public. Hargreeves made sure to enforce it beforehand so the media wouldn't ask about the lack of the number.

The queries were getting to be too overwhelming, especially with the last one you had heard. Luckily, Grace had appeared to intervene with the reporters, stepping between you and them as a barrier. "Now, now, let's not overwhelm Number Seven."

Seven.

That isn't me, you thought. Viktor.

It was then that you remembered the plans you had made with him previously. Your eyes widened. Crap. He's probably wondering where I am... A bright flash snapped you out of your thoughts, and you just realized that Five was now dragging you back to the car.

"Nice job out there," he said. "The press can be a bit much sometimes, but... One mission and I'm sure you're already better than me."

"No, that can't be right at all. You're, like, the best one out there. I was that good?" you asked with disbelief.

"Yeah, give yourself the credit you deserve! You fought with your power on a mission for the first time and practically came up with the entire plan. Welcome to the team, (N/N)." Not wanting to expose your relationship, he opted out of wrapping an arm around you and instead sent a meaningful smile.

"Thanks." Welcome to the team— the same thing that Viktor had told you. You glanced at the wrist that bore the Academy's umbrella, a decoy in marker just like before. You hoped it was enough for your father not to question it, also making a mental note to go see Viktor as soon as you got back.

You climbed back into the car with Grace reminding everyone to put their seatbelts on, and the ride home began the same way as the one out: quietly. This time, you were the one to speak up. "So... How'd I do?"

To your surprise, everyone began talking at once, each of them complimenting and praising as you tried to absorb everything being said. Five, however, was silent, staring with a lovestruck smile. You often found that he was left speechless by you now.

"Decent. For a beginner," Diego grumbled.

Klaus rolled his eyes. "Oh, shut up, that was awesome!"

You laughed, overtaken by delight. You were finally included, useful, recognized. Your eyes then widened. "Oh, of course!" you exclaimed in realization. "Wings! That's what I needed."