𝐈.𝐢𝐢. You Are Confident

info !
1K words
published on apr 9, 2019
edited jul 16, 2022

CHAPTER I.II.

          "GREAT JOB on your first mission, guys!"

Supporting your siblings was hard, especially since they tried their best to ignore you, but your support was the most you could offer. The most you could do for them while you were stuck on the sidelines.

They may not have paid you any mind, but you still wanted to let them know that you cared. Their first public appearance was an important milestone, after all.

It was late when you all got back from the bank that day. The press kept asking questions, kept taking pictures. The debut of the Academy was much grander than you anticipated. You and Viktor had to watch from a distance like normal —at your father's commands, of course— to remain out of question. Seeing how confident your siblings were in front of the cameras made you wish you had a superpower like they did. You certainly wouldn't mind being down there with them, basking in pride and glory.

As they arrived back at the house, you stayed by the doorway to praise them as they walked past. Luther merely glanced at you, Diego kept walking without a thought, Allison gave an empty "thanks," Klaus and Ben spared you quick smiles.

"Good job today, Five," you said with a weak grin. You genuinely meant what you said, but your enthusiasm had waned from the previous lack of responses you received. You still had some hope, though, as you learned that Five was the only one besides Viktor who'd converse with you if you tried. "I can tell your training pays off, that's for sure."

The compliment surprised him, and he smiled as he circled to stand by your side. "Thanks, (Y/N). I'm glad you think so."

Your smile grew to mirror his and your mood picked up again. "No problem!" As you were about to walk off, planning on painting some more with your previous task now complete, Five grabbed your hand to stop you.

"Wait, uh— Would you want to —I don't know— hang... out with me?"

"As in behind Dad's back? Again?" You paused, glancing around to check for other people who might be near. After ensuring the coast was clear enough, you whispered, "You do that?"

"You don't?" Five asked.

You shook your head, laughing a bit.

"Well, let's go. It'll be your first."

Five warped to one of the many balconies of the mansion, keeping his grip on your hand to bring you with him. You had to look around for a moment to realize where you were after the dizziness wore off. Walking to the edge of the platform, you both leaned onto the stone wall, propped up on your forearms.

"This should be pretty secretive. It'll be easy to hear if someone's coming over," Five said. You nodded in response before turning to face the sky. Incandescent stars were littered across the blue ether, captivating your gaze. A quietness fell among you as you stared and got lost in thought. Five was a little nervous to speak up again, uncharacteristically, but he soon found himself.

"You know, sometimes I don't know why you even talk to me." This was his statement, although you often wondered the same thing of him.

Your eyebrows furrowed in confusion as you looked back at him. "Why wouldn't I?"

"I don't really try to involve myself with the family a lot."

"That's... kinda the reason why I do, actually. You shouldn't always be by yourself," you told him. "I know that much."

More silence hung in the air, less consuming than it was before.

You then sighed before asking a hesitant question. "Does... Does Dad tell you guys not to talk to me?"

Five was a bit taken aback by the query at first. He nodded, not wanting to say the sad truth aloud.

You lowered your head. "I've always suspected it..."

It was hard seeing everyone turn their backs on you. At first, you never knew the reason, but as time went on, you figured it was either their true feelings or a result of Hargreeves's influence. You were glad it was the latter, but it still hurt knowing that your siblings would choose him over you.

"How come you talk to me, then?" you asked.

"If you haven't noticed, I don't really care for Dad's rules." He paused momentarily before adding on. "There's no good reason not to talk to you. You're nothing but nice to us despite how we treat you."

"Well, supportive is all I can be if I'm not actually helpful. I can't be helpful if I'm not special. That's pretty much all I've learned from Dad." You laughed humorlessly, a sad smile resting upon your lips.

"(Y/N), to me, at least, you don't have to be 'special' in the way that he tells you," Five said, talking slowly to ensure that he chose the right words. "You should be confident no matter what you might be. Even if it does turn out to be powerless."

"What? C'mon, I know I'm powerless," you countered. He nudged you with his shoulder, glaring softly at you for being negative. For some reason, he always thought that you did have an ability of some sort.

Superpowers had come up during your late-night conversation over doughnuts, so he mentioned it then. You were sure you'd never agree with him, always joking that if you did have a power, it would be invisibility since everyone always pretends you're not there. "But you really think so?"

"Yes." The certainty in his reply warmed your heart.

At that moment, the stars splayed out in front of you seemed to shine a little brighter. A sense of relief washed over you. The hush that descended as you pondered his words was... comforting. You spoke softly to break it for only a second.

"...Thanks."