Pieces

Last Time:

Her sons and husband nodded as she went in to call the police ...

XXXXXXXXXX

"Make sure you all keep in contact with your group members over the holiday break. It will help when you have your presentations after you return and that's the same for those teams from Trocar's class as well. You can use small spells in areas like Hogsmeade so if you want to meet your teammates to practice you can try that or rent a potion lab in Knockturn Alley. Professor Snape and I have done that before so I know it's a good idea. If I don't see you off tomorrow have a good Yule!" Cache smiled and waved at the students leaving the potions classroom.

Hermione and Ron stayed after for a moment looking nervous, "Umm Cache?" Ron asked.

Cache looked up from the desk where he was gathering some papers and putting them into a bottomless bag, "Yes? What's wrong?"

"Since the professor is ill could you sign these?" Hermione asked as they each handed Cache a form.

"A job slip?" Cache observed as he looked the slip over. "You both wish to work part time at Hogwarts during school and over breaks?"

Ron avoided eye contact, "We have some things to pay for." Ron admitted softly thankful that Cache didn't ask for any details. Neither of them wanted to explain that they had to pay for what they spent of Harry Potter's money.

"Hmmm you're asking for several jobs, I see." Cache hummed in thought, "So you want to rearrange the Room of Requirement, complete assistant jobs for any professors and map out the Chamber of Secrets?!" Cache exclaimed more than shocked that the goblins offered that last option or that Minerva signed off on it!

"It's not like that! We're going with a team of goblins to assist them ... and you? I think ..." Hermione said not sure why Cache needed to be involved with the third option. The second option made sense because Cache was filling in for Professor Snape, but why the chamber?

Cache absentmindedly shrugged, "Fun fact, 1 in every 200 witches and wizards, regardless of any relation to the Slytherin family, actually can speak parseltongue and that's needed to get in the chamber. I helped out once before so I'm not surprised that they'd ask though I doubt I'll be allowed to go in after that basilisk incident." He said casually before pulling out a pencil and signing.

Out of habit Ron opened his mouth to say something insulting towards snakes, but stopped and thought about what that fact really meant, "So ... Voldemort wasn't the heir to Slytherin? ... what basilisk?!"

"The basilisk is long gone." Cache said far too casually. "As for Voldemort ... Maybe, maybe not." Cache shrugged as he handed them the signed sheets back. "Really all it means is that Parseltongue is another skill some people have and isn't a sign of evil. Hardly important. Now I'll owl you a list of things you both can assist in so you're ready by the time you both return from the Yule break ... something wrong?" He asked as he spotted the look of concern that passed between the two.

An awkward silence passed before Hermione spoke, "Is it ... are you one of the teachers ... I mean the paper said ..." Hermione's voice started shaking so badly that she couldn't say anymore, but Cache seemed to understand.

"You want to know about Harry." Cache stated calmly. He sighed when they nodded, both were close to tears. "The whole point is to keep Harry away so he can heal both physically and mentally. If I was one of the chosen teachers I bet a vow was made to protect him so I couldn't-"

"But we just want him to know we'll pay it back-" Ron slapped his hand over his mouth to shut himself up, but both he and Hermione knew it was too late. What they didn't realize was that Cache knew about their debts already. After all, it was his money.