No Wand, No Morals

Start from the beginning

The next morning they set out early to search around muggle London. They intended to see if there were any public records of one Petunia Dursley, but they found something even better ... a newspaper. In that newspaper, on the very front page actually, was an article about the Dursleys and it wasn't pretty!

As the auror read the article he found he became more and more angry, "This isn't something you should read Remus-" Moody shrugged as the newspaper was snatched right out of his hand by the werewolf and cast a 'not notice me' spell over them knowing the werewolf was not going to like this at all.

"This can't be real ..." Remus choked down a sob. It was all there ...

A real estate agent bought house number 4 on Privet Drive in Surrey to fix it up to resell, but found evidence that implied that the former owners, the Dursleys, kept a child prisoner in both modified prison cell upstairs and the cupboard. There were signs that the boy was starved, beaten and forced to do all sorts of different chores that only grown ups should do. They know many details from Petunia's diary that was found under her side of the mattress.

While the Dursleys were away on a long trip this prisoner, who was believed to be their nephew Harry Potter though the diary only referred to him as 'freak', managed to escape by using exposed wires in the attic to blow off his cell door. The attic access panel was apparently over his cell. It was a good thing to because the investigators believe he would've died either from the record breaking heat waves this summer or starvation and dehydration. Not to mention any injuries he may have been given before his family left since it was clear they loved hurting him.

It was believed that the Dursleys returned and panicked when they saw their prisoner was gone and basically ran away to avoid possible conviction. The newspaper went on to explain that the boy was underage, but they want to use his name and plead for him to come in to any police station for protection. Only three pictures were used. One was of the Dursleys including Aunt Marge. The second was of Ms. Figg who lived nearby and even went on the trip with the Dursley family. She disappeared around the same time as the Dursleys and seeing as the neighbors saw her babysit Harry it's believed she was heavily involved in the abuse. The third picture, since they had no picture of Harry Potter, was of a hallway with a broken cell door laying on the floor and the word 'FREE' painted on the wall ...

"He wasn't taken? ... he escaped? ... but why would Albus ..." Remus trailed off his mind whirling at this discovery.

"A very good question" Moody mused out loud as he took the newspaper and folded it so he could tuck it under his arm, "I think we should see what would happen if we left this in the Three Broomsticks." He said checked his flask before grabbing Remus's arm and apparating away. When they landed the retired auror removed the 'notice me not' spell.

Remus frowned as he saw that they were now in Hogsmeade, "Ummm ... you know the Three Broomsticks relocated to Diagon Alley, right?"

"Damn, I forgot!" Moody grunted.

"How about I apparate this time?" Remus offered kindly wondering where Harry was now and if he was alright. When they finally arrived they discovered another newspaper. This article claimed that Harry Potter was so sick that he couldn't attend school. "Is this some sort of cover? It says donations are being made to help Harry, but where are they going if Harry isn't sick?" He wanted to think Dumbledore was keeping the money from those who donated set aside for safety, but now he wasn't so sure ...

"We'll soon find out." Moody growled and set the muggle newspaper on the counter when no one was looking and they both left. Due to it being later in the day by now very few people were around, but there was one werewolf that walked passed them ...

XXXXXXXXXX

Lyra and Libra trotted into the room that was being used as a dueling room and laid at Cache's feet. The false blonde was leaning against the wall reading a magical newspaper that had an article splashing Dumbledore's false claims of Harry's illness all over the front page. It was an excellent read.