Chapter 1

Cadence POV

I looked at the clock, 10:37 p.m. "fuck man." I mumbled to myself. My shift was supposed to end at 10 and Sam still hadn't cut me yet. 

"Take that to table 23," Nick said referring to the food the kitchen had sent through the window. My feet were killing me, today was so busy due to burger night. Table 23 was all the way upstairs at the bar area. 

Up down, up down, up down. I was going everywhere.

I set the five plates along both my arms and made my way over to the table.  All of them were guys laughing and chatting about something.

"The food boys!" One of them said banging his fist on the table. He was quite handsome.

"Bacon burger?" I asked motioning to the one in my palm the man to the left of me took it. "Double patty, double bacon cheeseburger, cheeseburger and uh shrimp burger?" I continued to hand them out one by one. Each of them had such strong features, mesmerizing.

"Anything else you guys need?" I asked. They all dove into the burger and began munching down, even the shrimp burger guy. Except one of them. He was sitting directly to the right. He just stared at me. He wasn't the best looking out of them all but he was still quite handsome. Suddenly, he roughly grabbed my arm. I felt.. static electricity?

I attempted to pull my arm back but his grip tightened and it began to hurt me. "Sir. Could you let me go?" I asked politely. "Sir!" I exclaimed. The static wasn't helping it felt like zaps into my skin. He said, "mime".

Mime? What the fuck type of insult. I'm mad cute and I don't look like a mime.

All of his friends had stopped eating and turned to look at me. 

"Cadence? Everything okay here?" A familiar voice had said behind me. I turned and saw Sam. The man had let me go. I quickly nodded and turned, as he guided me out his hand was placed on my low back. 

I heard a bang on the table and voices trying to calm a certain guy down. 

"Your cut. Just next time call out for me when this happens." He says sternly.

"Thank you," I say.

I walked down the stairs and was back at the kitchen window with Nick. "I'm cut!" I said greeting him with a smile. 

"You know this is so annoying. Some very sexy people," he motioned at himself, "have school tomorrow and don't have the fucking blessing to be homebound and wake up whenever they chose." He groaned. 

"Well sucks for you. Oh don't forget to tip out when you get cut." I reminded him. Last shift he was so tired and wanting to go home he forgot to ask to get tipped out on Wing Night. He probably missed out on +$100. Dumbass.

He waved me off. I went around the restaurant finding the waiters and bartenders asking them to tip me out. 

(for those of you that are confused!! in a restaurant if you are a food runner you get tipped out. You ask the waiters, waitresses, and bartenders. They typically give you between 15-20% of their tips since you helped them out by giving the customers their food and drinks. also being cut is when the boss allows you to go home! Some places you get cut then you complete the responsibilities the manager assigned to you before you leave. you can lie and say you did but it's a common courtesy to help out.)

As I made my way outside to the car I counted the money, $95. Not bad.

"Cadence!" Someone shouted. It was from Lauren. What was she doing here?

"Have you spoken to them about hiring?" She asked with droopy eyes. She was doped up. 

"Oh girl," I sighed, "Sam said he was looking for younger kids so they can stay longer. Us seniors are heading to college soon so they won't have a lot of people working there."

She hugged me tightly. "Thanks for trying." She mumbled into my hair. She quickly released me, handed me a cig then scurried off.

She wanted to work at the tavern but if I asked Sam to interview her he would've been pissed if I wasted his time with her. He wouldn't have trust in me or my recomendations.

I let out a sigh and continued to my car. Once I settled in I opened the windows and turned on my headlights. I plugged my phone into the aux and played Immigrant Song. I pulled the lighter out of the center console. I pulled out of the parking lot and began to drive home on the street with the music blasting. I light the cig and begin smoking. 

I heared what sounded like howls in the distance.

I brush it off. 

Before I could ash the cig the wind from the window blows back and lands on my seat. I look down to brush it off before it could stain my car.

Right, when I looked back up I saw something in front of me with glowing eyes. I jerk my steering wheel to the right and hit the brake in the process. I guess it was too late there was another wolf to the right where I had turned. My heart began pounding in my chest. I started to breathe heavy, I felt frozen. 

Why are there wolves here? Do I get out? I look and see 5 in total counting the one on the ground. I take another hit. 

I look in the back of the car and see an umbrella. I grab it and step out cautiously with the cig still in my mouth. The nicotine keeping me sane at this moment. 

I slowly make my way to the wolf in front of my car. His breathing was labored and there was blood coming from his leg. I looked around and saw the remaining four wolves had left.

Weren't these pack animals. Loyal to each other? Supposed to be a family and help them out? I guess middle school animal science was false. They just left their brother, cousin or uncle here.

We made eye contact his golden eyes were soft and kind. I've never been this close to a wild animal before. I threw the cig on the ground and stomped on it.

I began to poke him with the umbrella testing if he will snap and bite. He laid there motionlessly. I turn to grab a hoodie in my car and cover his face with it. I attept to pick him up but...shit. This fucker was heavy. 

It took about 10 minutes just to get the damn thing into my car. His head was still covered. I went back into the drivers seat, grabbed my umbrella, and drove off to the side. I held my umbrella and kept my eyes on him in the back seat. He contiuted to lay down. 

I went through my phone and searched for animal hospitals or vets and called each of them. None answered. There was a 24 hour emergency one but it was almost two hours away. Let me just say I did not have the gas to make that trip.

I decided to make my way home.