Chapter 13: Adoption

Published: 9th April, 2019

_______________________________________________________

Today was the day Minerva had been waiting for. All exams were over, holidays started, students gone. But most importantly, today was the day that Minerva would go to the Ministry and make Harry officially hers. She decided to delay the adoption because it would be a hassle to do everything while exams were going on.

She watched Harry toss and turn around in his crib. She decided to buy one during a Hogsmeade trip since Harry would normally fall out of bed. She gave him one last glance and walked out for some tea and a book.

While she was reading, she looked up to see Harry with a large bedsheet draped over him standing in front of her.

"Boo!" he exclaimed, before bursting into a peal of giggles after seeing Minerva's shocked face.

"Very funny, Harry," she exclaimed while scooping the boy into her arms and depositing him on her lap. "How did you come out of your crib?"

Harry thought for a while, his eyes deep in thought. Finally he came up with a suitable answer. "I dunno." he exclaimed with a toothy grin.

She raised an eyebrow but said nothing, since she knew exactly how he came out. Recently, he obtained this dangerous habit of climbing up the railings of the crib. She knew she had to put some charm on the crib some time soon. For now, she would just leave it. She called her house elf for some food for Harry.

Now done with everything, Harry and Minerva were ready to go to the Ministry for the adoption papers. He grabbed his favourite toy, a squishy fox which was the gift Severus gave him, and went by the headmaster's private Floo.

They then made their way to level two, the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, where they were greeted by an Auror who led them to a small cubicle. They sat down and began the conference.

"Hello Minerva, hello Harry. I'm Amelie," she introduced. "I would like to ask Harry some questions before handing over the final papers, is that alright?" she asked and Minerva said nothing but nodded.

But Harry was too shy. He just buried his head into her robes and refused to say anything.

"No Mimmie, don' wanna," he insisted. Minerva lifted his chin so that his shocking green eyes were meeting hers.

"Please, Harry. I will be here with you." she softly requested. Harry unwillingly turned towards the auror and gave a shy wave before sticking his thumb back into his mouth.

"So Harry, do you feel safe with Minerva?" she asked. Harry just nodded slightly, not saying anything, still scared. The auror took out a file and withdrew a paper.

"Now for the big question," she took a breath and continued on. "Harry, would you like to stay with her forever, to move away from your uncle and aunt?" Harry's eyes widened. Mimmie wanted him forever? He will never be beaten, never have to wake up early and do chores. He would live happily with her?

"No mo'e unclwe? he asked, his thumb slipping out of his mouth. The auror nodded. "Yes, wanna stay foweve'." he exclaimed with a large grin. The auror smiled and gave Minerva the adoption papers.

"Here are the papers, you can always withdraw from this adoption," she clarified. Minerva looked over the paper. Her hands were shaking. Was she ready for this, was she ready for the trials of parenthood?

Yes she was.

She scrawled her signature over the paper before handing it over to the auror who stuffed it in a file and dismissed them with a smile. They went up through the telephone box and apparated away to Diagon Alley where they went into a small toy store. She felt that it would be best to celebrate this day with a fun day out. She let Harry down so he could explore everything in sight.

**Page Break**

Now they were back in Hogwarts after buying a hell lot of toys and some ice cream. Minerva was now reading him a bedtime story after tucking him in her bed since she wanted him to sleep with her for the night. Harry asked for so many things, and in her state of happiness, allowed him to take anything. Even when he asked for a whole tart for dessert, she didn't refuse, but she did only give him half but it didn't matter to him. She looked up from the book to see him wrapped up in his blanket, fast asleep. She kissed his forehead and hugged him close to her.

Never would he have to be scared of anything.

Never would he do excessive amounts of work.

Never would he be hurt and scarred and bruised.

Never would he cry.

Because she would make sure that he is indeed, cared for.

_______________________________________________________

Sorry for the late update and the short chapter. I had writer's block. Now Harry will be aging in the upcoming chapter so there will be major time gaps.