Clouds (Steve x reader One-shot)

Characters: Steve Rogers, reader, vague mentions to the Avengers.

Summary: Overwhelmed by work and life, you escape to the outdoors and the wonders of nature to find some peace, which is where Steve finds you. Having dropped the ball somehow, you feel guilty taking time for yourself but the more you talk to the Captain, the more you realize what you have in common. And you just might have what Steve needs in his life. (Canon. Takes place after AOU kinda.)

Warnings: None! Fluffy fluff, my lovelies. I mean, mentions of stress and guilt, I guess. ;)

Word Count: 2.5k (oof, that's short for me lately. haha)

Song Inspiration: "Clouds" by BORNS

A/N: Hello, my darlings!! I hope you enjoy this little Steve story. I've been stressed and overworked myself lately, so I have a tendency to write about what I need to hear. *cough* Save Yourself *cough*. :D And I've been missing writing Steve lately, so here you go. I'd love to hear your thoughts! Any feedback is appreciated! Love you all! <3

___________________________

Hm...that looks like a rabbit.

And that...that's a Jack-o-Latern.

Ooh, rabbit riding a horse!

That one kinda looks like...a face? Straight nose, strong brow, chiseled jaw...

And before you knew it, a certain real life face came to mind, making your pulse quicken and palms sweat. "No," you muttered to yourself with a shake of your head. "He's your Captain, he would never..."

Exhaling a dramatic sigh, you pushed away the negative thought and returned your attention to the clouds, letting your imagination run wild. Lying on the immaculately groomed grass of the Avengers Compound, this was your time to get away and enjoy the peaceful calm of the outdoors. When things got too loud or too intense, you liked to unplug, reconnect with nature, and just...be.

Your thoughts returned to a certain handsome face and before you could shake them, you heard a familiar voice, at first positive you had conjured that in your mind as well.

"Y/N!" the voice called out, apparently not for the first time.

Suddenly aware that you weren't imagining things, you sat up on the grass and glance behind you to see the Captain himself approaching. His long strides quickly brought him within feet of you so you scrambled up to stand, brushing grass from the seat of your pants.

"Cap—Captain Rogers, I'm sorry, I didn't hear you calling. Is everything okay?" you stammered at first, shielding your eyes from the sun behind him with one hand.

"No, Y/N, everything is not alright," he came to a stop beside you, letting out an exasperated sigh. "You missed today's staff meeting. Again," the Captain declared with his brows drawn together in disappointment.

Your chest tightened, mind searching for the information about the forgotten meeting. "What? No, I...I had alerts on! And Jenny even helped me set it up, she said she'd send a text, I—"

"Janet, Y/N. Her name is Janet. And none of that works if you don't have your phone on, Y/N," Steve said sternly with hands on his hips.

Patting your pockets, you searched for your phone and came up empty. You then glanced down at the ground where you were lying and picked up the fallen device, its screen black and unresponsive.

"Oh," you admitted quietly, "I think it's dead. I thought I charged it, but..."

Steve pinched the bridge of his nose and then took in a deep breath before releasing it. "Look, Y/N...you're an asset to the team and we appreciate having you as our media liaison, but you have to show up for these meetings. Okay? I know it's a lot sometimes and don't I wish I could lie down outside sometimes and forget about everything, but I can't just—"