II

The Talk

Beep. Beep. Beep.

The consistent sound echoed in the dark room as the patient on the bed stared silently at the concrete ceiling. It was almost the morning and yet there was no indication that the young child slept.

Hadrian Evans was not new, nor was he one of the old patients that went mad with continued medication. He just stared off with no indication that he knew his surroundings.

The next morning there was an influx of doctors and nurses coming to see his progress, or lack thereof.

“Anything new on the patient?”

“No responses at all, should we continue with the treatment?”

“Yes, might as well, there’s really nothing else we can do.”

“Alright”

Another shot, another pill, more therapy, on and on the endless efforts to try and cure him, try to fix him. The doctors seemed to forget that they were treating a child.

As lunch rolled around, a nurse brought him the same bowl of soup; Hadrian began to move, feeling something, someone getting closer.

The door opened and in walked someone he had never seen before.

Dressed in all black, no white in sight, and a complete contrast to all the other adults who visited him. The visit ended with him depositing a small photo in his lap, and for some reason, it made him happy, yet sad when he looked at it.

------

Snape wasn’t a man that bowed easily, but there was one who had his utmost loyalty. His black robes flared behind him as he prowled through the dark gothic interior of the manor of said man.

The Dark Lord was someone feared and revered. His power and charisma towered over others, drawing allies from all over Magical Europe. This was the man he followed, even after the so-called fall the man proved his cunning once again.

Upon reaching the meeting hall, most of the Inner Circle was quietly seated, soft conversation flowing as they waited for the Lord to come and begin the meeting.

Nodding his head to Lucius Malfoy who sat directly across from him, he continued to observe the rest, lost in his thoughts about a certain child.

“What has you lost in thought, Severus?”

The voice of his longtime friend broke him out of his thoughts. “You are usually so focused in these meetings.”

“It is nothing of consequence, just something I found.”

“Oh, now I’m intrigued, what is it? We’re all allies here.”

“It’s nothing Lucius drop it.” The sharp remark had most of the table looking in his direction. Taking a deep breath he collected his thoughts before quietly stating something that caused an uproar.

“I found Harry Potter.”

“What!”

“Is this true? Severus, you better not be lying?” Narcissa questioned as the others began hollering and asking for the location of the child.

“Why would I lie?” Severus retorted back, before announcing another shocking statement. “I will not give the location until I speak with the Dark Lord.”

The stunned silence that followed nearly made him smirk at the incredulous expressions thrown his way.

The sound of the ever-calm Antonin Dolohov regained their attention. “Why it would be something our Lord would want to know yes, but why keep it a secret from us?”

“I wish to ask for the child’s protection.”

“You would do so much for our enemies son?” Lucius questioned, his mask slipping slightly to show his surprise towards his friend and ally.

“Do not question me on this Lucius, he is Lily’s son.”

“The Dark Lord will never agree.” The neutral voice of Barty Crouch Jr. intervened. “He has been searching for that child in order to complete the prophecy, to keep his reign over Europe.”

“Cissa, is something bothering you?” Lucius questioned his wife, noticing her concerned glances towards their dour friend.

Narcissa just kept her gaze towards Snape for a minute, a steady gaze, before replying, “Children are sacred, all children are sacred. Perhaps Severus is right, we must refrain judgment on the child until the Dark Lord sees him.”

“You assume too much Cissy!” The loud voice of her sister broke through the silence as she stood up from the table, bristling in anger. “Our Lord is right in destroying the child before he destroys him. How dare you plead the case of a filthy half-blood!”

“That is enough.” The dark baritone voice of their master cut through all the arguments, effectively shutting them down as he sat gracefully at the head of the table. “It appears you have found something valuable, have you not Severus?”

“I have my lord.” Severus began, carefully wording his answer. “I have located the prophecy child, but I do not believe he is in any position to go against your reign.”

“Oh, the child was prophesized to be my downfall was he not? You were the one who came to me that night with that information.”

“I did, but Harry Potter is not able to go against you,” Severus repeated a hint of desperation in his voice.

“Give me a good reason, perhaps I will humor you, Severus.” The Dark Lord spoke, his voice ice cold as he glared at the other.

“Harry Potter has been in an insane asylum for over three years with no indication of awareness around him.”

_ _ _ _ _