Portal

The sun was shining, the sand was blinding, the water was waving. All was well with the world. Peter and Ned were splashing in the water, laughing hysterically, while MJ was sprawled on a beach towel, her nose in a book. It was their last day there, and they would be portaled back to the Tower in a few hours.

"MJ!" The girl looked up at her boyfriend, who was currently being chased by his best friend. "Come play with us!"

MJ giggled to herself, shaking her head slightly, but still getting up and dog-earing her page. She took off towards the water, taking huge leaps into the water with massive splashes. Peter ducked under the waves and disappeared from view for a moment, only to surge upwards and grab MJ by the waist, throwing her over his shoulder and then throwing her into deeper water.

The three friends laughed and continued to play in the water until they were out of breath and exhausted.

"You ready for finals?" Ned broke the silence with a nod towards MJ.

"Neeedddd," Peter whined. Peter had asked that they not talk about school on this trip at all, just making it about having a good time.

"Sorry, sorry!" Ned threw up his hands in surrender. MJ put her arms around Peter, letting him lift her up onto his back.

"I don't think I've studied for a test in my entire school career, dude," she chuckled. Peter smiled to himself and the three teens headed back to the sandy shore, ready to get packed and washed up.

An hour later, the teens stood in the living room of the house, ready to go. Peter tapped his foot impatiently. The portal was late.

"Peter, calm down," MJ said softly. The taller boy turned to his girlfriend, hugging her to his side. "Its only been a couple minutes."

Ned looked between his friends. He was worried, like Peter, but he was trying to stay calm, like MJ.

A small portal opened up, but it was weak, and Peter looked through it skeptically.

"Hurry up, kids, Stephen is having some problems!"

Peter pushed Ned through first. Bruce pulled the teen through the rest of the way and the portal wavered. Just as quick as it got small, it got big again.

"Grab MJ!" Peter pushed his girlfriend through and Pepper pulled the girl the rest of the way through.

Peter faltered. Something was very wrong with this portal.

"Peter!" The portal nearly closed, and the teen could see his uncle in the back, struggling to hold it open. "Peter!"

"Jump through now, Underoos, come on!" Tony's face was pleading, and Peter knew his parents wouldn't put him at risk. The teen stepped into the portal, feeling his father's grasp on his wrist almost instantly. At the same time, however, he felt someone grab his legs.

"Dad!" Tony pulled, but he was being pulled into the portal with his son. Strange struggled to keep the portal open large enough, and Steve quickly grabbed Tony to pull him back into the room.

Peter could feel his hand slipping from his father's grasp. Whoever was pulling him away was stronger than anyone Peter had ever fought before. He kicked downwards harshly, trying to dislodge whoever was holding onto him, but he had no luck.

"Dad, someone is hooked on my leg!"

Tony shot Stephen a look, still pulling on his son.

"Tony, this portal is going to close soon, I can't keep it open!"

Peter knew he wouldn't be able to pull his leg away from his mysterious captor, and he had no idea what would happen if he were trapped in the portal, let alone his father, who was being pulled in farther and farther.

"Dad, Dad!" Tony made eye contact with his son. "Let go."

Peter let go of his father's arm, letting his hand slip out.

"Peter, no, STOP!"

Peter watched his father get pulled back into the living room. He watched Wanda hold Natasha and Pepper back with her magic, while Tony was held back by Steve. He watched the portal close. And then Peter Parker-Stark was alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"No!" Steve dropped Tony, and the shorter man ran towards where the portal had just been. "No, Strange, make another portal!"

MJ buried her face into Ned's shoulder, sobbing. She couldn't understand what had happened. Ned quietly cried, knowing that MJ needed him, but worried for Peter nonetheless. The two friends made their way to Peter's room, there own little safe haven in the tower.

The family was stood slack, watching Tony fall to his knees. The billionaire had his head in his hands, crying and begging for Stephen to do something. Natasha was being held by Clint. While the red head wasn't crying, it was the blank stare on her face that meant she was really hurt. The ex-assassin was broken.

And then there was Pepper. Bruce had been the first to notice that she was crumpled on the couch, silent sobs shaking her body. The scientist sat next to her, gently pulling her into a hug. He sent a look to Steve, and the blond man stepped up.

"Let's get to bed, come on, Pep." The woman let herself be led to her room. Tony was still collapsed on the floor, clenching the carpet in his hands, unclenching, and clenching again. He kept whispering to himself "Peter?"

Steve came back from taking Pepper to bed and led Tony to his and Pepper's room, shutting the door so the two adults could have some space. Clint had taken Natasha to bed, as well, but was staying with her.

The living room felt oddly quiet. Bucky, Rhodey, Sam, Strange, and Wanda were all on the couch, staring at the space on the wall where the portal had once been.

"Where is MJ and Ned?"

The 5 superheroes looked up at Steve.

"Oh... I'm not sure," Bucky said, his face blank.

Steve figured they were in Peter's room. He sat on the couch with a sigh, a heavy heart, and little hope.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peter noticed he was in a room, if you could call it that. It was completely cinder blocks, and it was the size of a closet. There was a noise, like metal scraping, and Peter whirled around to see a large metal door closing. There was nothing but a small slit near the bottom of the door, Peter imagined it was for food.

It was cold and damp, but also dark and small. Peter felt his heart rate quicken.

I'm okay he thought to himself. "I'm okay, I'm okay," he whispered.

Suddenly, it was like he was back under that building last year. He tried to focus on his breathing, but there was nothing to be done now. He cursed himself for not wearing his watch while swimming earlier, as he didn't have Karen now.

As a full blown panic attack took over the teen's body, he did nothing to resist falling the the floor. It was cold.

Peter pulled his knees up to his chest. My family will find me he thought. I know they'll find me.