Chapter 2

I open my eyes to the bright golden sun beaming on my face, abruptly interrupting my amazing food dream. I squint to see that it's a bit earlier than my usual wake up time, as the sun is barely out. Slamming my head against my thin pillow, I know I won't be able to fall back asleep. I groggily get up and reluctantly get into my itchy dress. I pull my hair as I brush it thoroughly, making sure that I get every knot I come across. I usually don't have time to brush my hair, so when I do, I make sure I do it right.

I love my free mornings, even though they are few.

I tidy up my room by neatly folding my thin blanket and putting it on my dark red mat. There's almost nothing in my room, except my mat and cracked body mirror. I needed something to see myself in so I got the mirror out of the garbage dump.

Putting on my brown shawl, I scurry up the familiar steps, then open the door to the kitchen where Vicky is. 

"Good morning, Lily! Did you sleep well?" She welcomes as she gives me a warm hug before going back to cooking the royal family's breakfast.

"I slept well, and yourself?" I ask politely.

"I slept alright, dear. You know how it is." We both chuckle at her small statement. 

Thankfully, the queen is at a meeting so I don't have to tend to her right now. 

"Here is your grocery list for today," 

I immediately light up at the exciting word "grocery". I love leaving the castle once a week to go shopping. It allows me to escape the nonsense I face in this dreaded castle. 

"And, it's cleaning day." 

"Cleaning day" means that I have to clean the prince's room. 

"Remember, no talking or singing. Don't even breathe in his presence. He has a meeting at two, so he won't be there." 

I nod as I grab a cup of water and a slice of bread before heading out. 

"Oh, and tell Mincy I say hi!" She calls out to me as I leave.

"Will do!"

With a large basket swinging on my arm, the royal guards open the humongous gates for me. I bid a wave goodbye to them as I skip into town with my hair bouncing under the shawl. I buy the groceries that are on the list, then make my way up the hill where Mincy and her husband, Jack, live. The smell of farm animals fills my nostrils as I knock on the weathered door. Shuffling is heard until Mincy swiftly opens the white wooden door, immediately embracing me. 

"Lily!!" She greets. 

Mincy has on her bright floral dress today, which compliments her dark black hair. She's in her late thirties, but looks much younger. 

"Come on in, honey! I'll whip up something quick!" 

I step into her cozy home, whiffing the smell of warm wood and biscuits. 

"JACK!! LILY'S HERE!" Mincy shouts to her husband, who is somehow always outside.

I sit at the small table, allowing my feet to rest for a bit. 

"How's the queen these days?" She asks me as she takes biscuits out of the oven.

"Same as always." I frown at the mention of her. I always wish that one day, she'll change. Though, I have a feeling that day will never come.

"Here you go, honeydew!" She says in her southern accent. 

I eat the food like a ninja, quickly savoring every bite. This is my only 'real' food this week. Mincy and Jack have been helping me ever since I was 10, which was the age I was when I started buying groceries by myself. Every time I come over, they always make sure that I'm happy and healthy.

"Hello little Lily! I have the dairy and eggs ready for you!" Jack announces, giving me the goods to give to Vicky.

"Thanks Jack!"

"Jack, she's not little anymore!" Mincy playfully slaps her husband to defend me, receiving a dramatic movement from Jack, as though he's been shot in the arm.

"Well, to me, she will always be the little girl who loves giving her uncle Jack a hug." He opens his arms and I give him a tight squeeze.

"I still like giving you hugs!" I tell him, proving him right. 

I give them a thousand more hugs, and thank Mincy for the amazing food. 

"Oh, and Vicky says hi!"

"Tell her we say hi and we love her very much!"

I bolt through the town, passing by the previous stands I was just at. "Bye Lily!" I hear from behind the food stands as I keep running back to the castle. I don't want to get there too late; I still have my daily chores to get done. I run to the gates, waiting for James and Chris to open them.

"Today was a close one, Lily," James warns as I rush inside.

"I know, I know!" I call back, running into the kitchen to drop everything off. 

After giving Vicky a hug and kiss, I race to grab my cleaning supplies.

"Okay, just go in there, do your thing, and walk out." I say to myself as I open the door to the prince's room. 

It looks the same as it always has with a big bed, a white couch, a book case, some scattered decorative chairs, and that exact intoxicating cologne smell that makes you never want to leave. I start by vacuuming the room, getting every nook and cranny. I wipe my forehead sweat that's formed from my dang shawl.

It's always making me hot and sweaty. I get to the point where I need to take it off before I pass out or drown in my own sweat. I lay it on his bed, knowing I'll be right back for it, and feeling safe knowing that he's busy at a meeting. I might as well clean the bathroom first before continuing with the room itself. I clean every square inch of that over-sized bathroom, from top to bottom.

As I clean his tub, I wonder what it's like to take a bath in a big, shiny white, claw foot tube like this. I occasionally imagine myself taking a heavenly bath with wind chimes blowing softly in the wind as I elegantly eat a plate of expensive cheeses. The worries of the world gliding away with every relaxing breath I take as the bubbles consume me in their relaxing spell. I then snap out of my insane day dreaming and continue cleaning.

"My shawl!" I quietly panic, rushing over to the door. I had completely forgotten about it, due to the rush of cleaning... and my day dreaming. I swiftly open the door, accidentally bumping into something hard. All the blood flushes from my face, resulting in me becoming as white as snow. I don't even have to look up to know who I ran into as my heart beats at a crazy pace.

"Miss?"

Author's Note:

Yello everyone! I couldn't wait any longer so I had to post this! 😂 Please let me know what you think and don't forget to vote if you enjoyed it!

As always, remember that you're so lovely, and to always show it!

~Love