Chapter 22

There've been a plethora of things clouding my mind lately, which is resulting in a slight slump in my work performance. Plus, Mona's been taking her new power for granted as she makes me do things I don't have time for, not that it surprises me. This causes me to go to the other side of the castle more frequently, where the room of wood work and mysteries lie.

The carving of the woman keeps me up at night. The image won't leave my head, as I constantly wonder why it hit me so hard. Tears well up with the meer thought of that moment.

The wedding is quickly approaching, with just a couple days before the big day. Because of this, everyone's been doing double the work. I'm usually alone at night, but now I see maids rushing from one end of the castle to the other to finish their work for the day.

Lots of members of the royal family have come in for the wedding, resulting in all of us pitching in to make sure they get shown to their wealthy vacation homes. Apparently, the queen hates it when all her rooms are full. Which doesn't make much sense, because there are about thirty rooms in the castle total. Lady Adora and Sir Louis taking two of them.

Speaking of such, I haven't seen much of Fredrick lately. And if I do, he smiles while he rushes past me. Though, this morning I woke up to a note in front of my door, which read,

"Hello, dearest Lily! I have an urgent matter to discuss with you. If you wish to accept this little invitation, please meet me at our window tonight when everyone is asleep.

Good luck today! Remember to keep your head held high, and to not let that gorgeous smile of yours waver!

~Fredrick"

The note still gives me chills. Not only did he say our window, but he also called my smile.... Wait, maybe I'm reading too much into it. I mean, why would a PRINCE think that my smile is-

"MAID! Are you going to just stand there and blush that horrid red, or are you going to clean the silverware?" Queen Madia says, frustration seeping through her words.

I hastily scrub the fork that has been in my hand for multiple minutes. She's visiting the kitchen to taste the food for the great feast they are to have in honor of the royal wedding. Maids and chefs bustle around me, almost as though they're dancing an anxiety induced tango. The maids shuffle many forks, knives, and everything in between into the large sink. Vicky gives me a small pep talk every time she comes by my station, saying "You can do it!" or "You got this!" Which has been helping me tremendously, due to the day not treating me very well.

"Ah, Lady Adora and Prince Fredrick! Welcome to the royal kitchen! Thank you for taking the time to come and taste the food." Vicky says in her energetic, but respectful tone.

"Of course, Vicky" Fredrick says politely.

He has on his blue suit today, paired with my favorite blue shoes of his. Lady Adora dressed herself in a poofy yellow dress with a tiny yellow and white hat to match. Queen Madia is dressed in her dark green dress that's longer than her tall form. Golden accents spread across her dress and melts into her jewelry. King William then walks in with his purple and white colored suit, standing beside his wife.

The four royal judges take their seats at the island, where many diverse plates of the best food in all of Scadia wait to take their judgement. Fredrick takes the first taste of what appears to be steak. He gives an expression of yum as the plate has passed the first round. Lady Adora then takes the next.

"What did you put on this?" She asks in her chirpy voice that sounds too fake to believe.

"The most expensive spices in world, with a dash of cinnamon." Vicky pipes up.