Chapter Eleven - Silver Blaze Part I

With dad back in hospital, I move back into Baker Street to take over the cases while he's away. John and I spend most mornings scouring the daily newspapers and the email inbox, and the afternoons taking cases less than a 7 over to dad so he doesn't overdose on the morphine out of boredom. Anything over a 7 is my responsibility.

"Why've you given me this one?" dad asks, a few days into his bed-rest. I lean over and look at the email from Colonel Ross that I'd forwarded to him.  

I lean over to look at where he's pointing. "What, Silver Blaze? I figured that was a 5."

Dad shakes his head. "It's an eight with fieldwork." He gestures towards the door with a smile. "Go on, off to Dartmoor with you."

I spot him share a look with John and frown suspiciously. "Why are you so eager to get me to go? I reckon it'd only take you a couple of days to solve this one."

John looks over. "Have you spoken to Beth recently?"

Elizabeth White was a girl I met the last time we came down to Dartmoor to solve the Hound of Baskerville case. We bonded over the space of a week before I had to go, but until dad faked his death we kept in contact.

"Not for ages, why?"

"Go pay her a visit; catch up," dad says gently. "Spend some time with someone your own age for once."

I pause for a moment, then nod. "Alright. I'll see you in a week. No skipping hospital in the meantime."

Dad does a mock salute and I bend over to kiss him on the forehead before turning to give John a hug. 

"Have fun," John says with a smile and I return it as I leave.