Chapter 5: The new life in Vault 210

"Do we really have to wear this?" I asked looking at myself in the mirror.

The intense orange color and the few simple black lines around the wrists, ankles, on the edge of the choker like collar neck continuing down on each side of the zipper, stopping just beneath the belly button, the number 210 was printed both at just above of my right chest in a small font and at across my back in a much larger font. The design wasn't the real issue tho it was the fact that it was a skintight suit. I had been wearing baggy clothes in public for a few years now just to avoid the looks I got. I didn't ask for this "godlike" body and "killing" looks as my modeling agent used to call it. I never fit the pretty girl formula, I didn't even want to be a model. It paid well, but I guess I won't have the need for money now. I don't even understand how I ended up this way, I mean I have some resemblance to my parents, like the blond hair, the blue eyes but nothing else that I can see.

I folded my arms in front of my chest before turning around to my mom. "It doesn't exactly hide anything," I said before raising an eyebrow, let out a mixture of an irritated sigh and a scoff.

"You have been posted pictures of in magazines with almost no clothes on, So what is the problem?" She said dressed in a suit just like mine.

"The problem is that I was standing in a room with people I trust, not wandering around people I don't know," I replied irritated.

"Just remember it has its purpose, it is designed by our lands best scientists. Anti radioactive, antibacterial, flame retardant, cold isolating and works as padded armor. I have to say it's an almost incomprehensive invention" My father said also wearing one.

It was easy for him to say, he was one of the scientists who made the material the suit was made out of. That was probably the only reason we had got a space in the most advanced Vault, 210. I remember how he made me read about it, to be honest, it was really revolutionary. A park with plants and trees to make oxygen, an eternal water source which also made power through its dynamic power plus the Vault got even more power through solar panels. What I think is the most awesome thing is the farm, how they managed to make the plants pollinate themselves through gene modification.

"It will take a few days but you will get used to it," My mom said with a smile.

I had been in therapy for a while, I don't really remember much of it only how scared I had been before we got here, then it was all just a blur until this morning when I woke up like it all just had been a nightmare. I wonder if anyone from my school is still alive, is there even anyone out there? Would it be possible to survive something like that?

Days went by and life got more and more boring underground, there wasn't much to do in the Vault so I spent my days fantasizing about the sky and green grass, it now felt like an eternity since I had seen it. I remember wishing to do nothing, I regret ever having said that now.

I decided to voluntarily enter the cryosleep pod. There were ten pods, neither of my parents was happy with my decision but I had already taken the choice. I said goodbye to my parents before walking to the cryosleep vault. I didn't know the others who had decided to also enter cryosleep but every one of us was from the age 18 to 22. I entered the pod slowly feeling my heartbeat raise as the doctor strapped me in. The large door closed slowly and then it got all dark.