Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

   The stinging light pierced through my eyelids, shocking me and forcing me to turn onto my front and hide my face with my arms. A strong arm wrapped around my body, pulled me up to cradle me against a familiar form. I kept my eyes tight shut, placed my hands on his chest and rested my forehead against them. I couldn’t help but sob and cry. The tears were miniature waterfalls down my cheeks, dripping off my chin. As the night before (or the last night I remembered), on the bed, he tightened his hold on me and pulled me closer against him. As the sobs continued and my chest moved up and down without rhythm; he continually attempted to comfort me with ‘ssh-ing’ whispers in my ear.

   ‘Sssh, Tif; it’s alright. It’s alright, I’m here. Please, don’t cry because of it.’

   ‘I thought... you... were... going… to die,’ I managed to say between sobs. Taking in a deep breath to calm myself, I wiped away the final tears. ‘I’m sorry, I could have stopped before anything happened...’

   ‘No, you...’

   ‘Yes, Mike. I could have,’ I interrupted and threw my arms around his neck. ‘I’m sorry and you should hate me so much. If you want to leave me, go ahead, I deserve it.’

   He pushed me away from his body but still kept me in his arms. His eyebrows were furrowed so much so that he had a line between them; but his eyes were full of anger or disbelief. ‘Don’t even think I’d leave you; nothing you or anyone does will make me go. If it helps, I’ll say I forgive you but it would have happened anyway, no matter whether you knew it was or not.’ I didn’t want him to say that nor was I expecting it, but he somehow knew it wasn’t me who wished him dead that night.

   Only then did I realise where and when I was. Here was in an unfamiliar room; it was completely empty, not even a chair (only a window). When was sometime in the morning (I hoped the next morning from that horrific night). Where exactly we were, I could not tell just by looking out the glass. I was now on my feet, leaving Mike to do as he pleased.

   Time passed, on and on; for about an hour we stayed in this room, doing nothing. How slowly time seemed to pass; until about two hours (or so I thought) I began to wonder why he hadn’t taken us out of here.

   ‘Mike, where are we?’ I asked, finally having enough of the boredom and emptiness.

   ‘Like you, I have no idea,’ he said, back turned to me. Maybe he was thinking.

   ‘Then... why haven’t we gone?’ I started to sound concerned.

   ‘Try the door,’ he replied as he pointed towards the only way out of this gloomy, dingy place.

   I paced over, pushed down the handle and pulled and pushed at the door. It was, evidently, locked.

   Swiftly, I snapped my head round to face him, wide-eyed. He had his arms crossed and was frowning.

   ‘There’s your answer.’

   ‘But... how? Who?’ I mumbled, very confused. Only he didn’t answer as both our attentions then poked at the foot of the door, at the gap between the floor and wood.

   Heavy footfalls sounded outside, I could smell human blood which meant Andrew and company hadn’t got us.

   ‘Tif...’ Mike whispered and beckoned. ‘Come to me.’ With two steps, I was by his side. Putting his arms around me, he pulled us backwards until we were pressed against the two walls of a corner.

   A key turned in the lock as a voice outside said, ‘She should be awake by now.’ It was a man; meaning all those outside were probably male. The door was gently pushed fully open and they stepped inside. Together, there were three. The elder two first, and then the younger. As I saw his face, I almost drowned of shock. I gasped and whispered a sharp ‘No!’ under my breath. His face was hard set; stern eyes, thinned mouth.