once in a life time

How could I have known that angels and devils were real? It wasn't like there was a manuscript on this kind of thing. Well if you don't count the bible, which I don't. One day they were here and the next they weren't. No one would believe me of course, hell, I don't even know if I believe me at this point. I could have been daydreaming for all I know. But I do know this, that my heart didn't start to beat until I met him.

It was on of those average summer days. Too hot to be comfortable out, yet to nice to hideout inside the air conditioning all day. The cicadas were buzzing in the trees, the sun shone down from the clouds, and there was a breeze that every time you felt it on your skin, you believed in a god. I decided today would be a good day to go down by the park, sit by the water and let my thoughts wander until something better came along.

So here I was sitting under the shade of a willow tree, trying to enjoy the fleeting weeks of summer. I didn't know it at the time, but someone was watching me underneath that willow tree. A tall, dark and handsome kind of stranger, that makes one question their morals. The kind of guy that dad's love to hate and mother's longed to have. He was standing by the edge of the wood, leaning back against a sturdy oak.

It was only chance that I happened to look over and see him. I followed the path of the breeze as if whisked my hair over my shoulder and into my face. And there he was. It was one of those heart stopping moments that romantics claim only happens once in a lifetime. He was beautiful, but in a way that hurt to look.

I should have known then that this man was otherworldly. There is no possible way that he wasn't hand selected by the angels on high and made to be their king. By all accounts, he was the definition of the kind of man that you steered clear from. And most other days I would have. I'm not stupid. I know what trouble looks like, and it looks like him.

Maybe it was the humid cloud hovering in the air, suffocating out all reason, or maybe it was the way I felt his eyes pierce through my skin down to the bones that held me up, but I do know this, nothing could have stopped me from going to him.

He was like a acid trip that took you to another world, and this was before I touched him. I knew then and there that my life was going to change. For better or for worse I didn't know, but I sure as hell didn't care.

It felt like I was floating, walking on water, like the stories at church were Jesus walked across the water to the disciples on the boat. Before I could blink I was in front of him. My pink sundress floating on the wind. When he reached out his hand to me, I knew, I just knew that it would feel like the most incredible sensation.

So I took it, letting the morphine like drip take over, relaxing into him, I let him led me back, into the woods where all the prying eyes of crows could not watch us. Once I could no longer hear the sounds of the world outside, he stopped.

It was deadly quiet, only the sweet rustle of tree branches and the crying of the birds could be heard. He didn't speak much, he only asked for my name. The sound that came out of his mouth was like a thousand sirens singing, like what hearing the first babies laugh must have felt like. I responded in a whisper to afraid to break the quiet of the woods and the smooth tone of his voice echoing out around us.

He gently guided my back to a tree, letting it support my weight as one of his hands came and caressed my face. I don't know what doing drugs is like, but it had to have felt something like this. There was fire under my skin, everywhere he touched left a blazing trail of need, something I had never felt before. No one had made me want to feel it before. Something inside of me snapped and I wrenched him close to me, capturing his stare into my eyes. They were the most vivid color green, like prime time summer when the leaves have burst to life from their long dead winter state.