Chapter 31: Blissful Awakening

Our silent silhouettes marched along, each of our minds conquered by a confusion we couldn't evade. My every movement seemed to be carefully calculated, almost as if I was afraid to take a wrong step, as if I was afraid to misstep and trip over my own feet.

Our escape went at a rapid pace. So many things happened at once and so many things were still being processed into my mind. Some things I still hadn't held a grasp of. My breathing came soft and quiet, quiet like my surroundings. The silence sounded like the loudest thing in the world. It was the only thing I could hear and it left me desperate to hear something - anything.

I couldn't erase any of the images I had captured from my time in that building. I couldn't erase the bloody bodies that used to hold souls within them. I couldn't erase the terror I felt. I couldn't erase the fact that I was no longer the same Mathias I thought I was. I couldn't erase what I had become.

When we walked down the vacant halls, I could hear distant yelling in all directions. Rich Guards. Rich Guards everywhere were panicking and stripping themselves of their own tailcoats. One spotted me and widened her eyes.

"What's going on?" I asked her, holding Angeli impossibly closer to me.

"We're making a run for it. The Prince and the Queen are going to enter battle. Whether the Queen dies or not, we're not taking any chances and staying behind to find out." Before she could run off, I gave her another question.

"You all never wanted to do this, did you?" She shook her head sadly.

"Of course not. She... She's sick in the head. We just wanted food, but we can get it in a different way. I don't even know if I'm feeding my family human meat or not and I'm terrified of it. I can't be the only one." She looked behind her at the rushing Guards. "We've let the prisoners escape, but we're not sure if they can get out on their own."

"We'll make sure no one stays behind." Trevor assured, glancing around at the masses of black scurrying about.

"Good, good." She then went off, taking hold of a man's hand as she ran off with him.

"One less problem, at least." Samantha spoke, her eyes scanning the multiple faces that she would never be able to recognize in the future, even if she tried.

"Wait... Did she say that the Prince and Queen are going to battle? Derrick's-" I quickly interrupted Angeli.

"He could get killed."I finished, my eyes dimming. "Should I be feeling like he doesn't deserve it?" I asked, feeling a bit guilty.

"Here's my theory: He's just like these Rich Guards, desperate for something that only she can provide. Who knows what he's looking for, but even if he has to hurt some people, all he wants is what he'll get after hurting them." Trevor's face was stiff, expressionless. I stared at him, unable to read his emotions. Is that what he truly thought of Derrick?

"Either way, it doesn't change the fact that we have no idea where we're going." I changed the subject, hoping for a bit of a lift in our moods. All this definitely wouldn't come easily, but it was worth the effort.

"We should follow the Guards. They have to be heading towards the exit." Angeli suggested, her voice just above a whisper. I observed her, noticing her timidity. I nodded and looked over to Trevor.

"I guess you're right. Hopefully, we don't run into those two along the way." He responded. I facepalmed.

"Thanks for jinxing it." I sighed exasperatedly and beckoned for Angeli to keep walking along with me. As long as we were in this place, there was no way I would risk anything happening to her. Wherever I went, she had to follow.