Chapter 18: Borderlines

"On the borderline that divides me somewhere in my mind." ~ Green Day

My eyes and ears had to be deceiving me. This couldn't be my brother. The last time I saw him, he sliced the flesh of my hand, spilling my blood against his blade, like if it meant nothing to him. I had all the more reason to hate him even further. Knowing that he had made Samantha accompany him like a servant to a master only made things worse.

Taking quick action, I stood up with Angeli at my side and scooted away from the entrance, towards the back of the cave where they wouldn't find us. I gave her a look, one saying that we had to be quiet. She understood and nodded, snuggling back against me as we continued to listen in on their conversation.

"I'm not sure what happened to them... I didn't find them after I misguided the others..." I heard Trevor blow out a long sigh.

"You were supposed to be watching him, Sam!" He growled.

"I know, I know! I'm sorry! I lost track of where he was in the snow. I had no way of knowing which direction he went." Why was Samantha being so apologetic? My hands tightened against the grip I had on Angeli and she squeaked out quietly.

"Sorry." I mumbled.

"Now what? This wasn't the plan! Without knowing where he is, things could get worse. Sam, I can't afford to lose him again! I've already found him, and losing him again... It would..." His voice faltered as they went inside the cave. They were a mere few feet away and I could finally see their silhouettes lined against the white snow. Along with that, I could faintly see a shadow casted over my brother's face. He looked like he did when I first saw him, only now, instead of hatred on his face, there was a deep worry.

"Don't worry, Trevor. He's probably closer than you think." I almost scoffed at that, but bit my tongue at the thought of them finding us.

"What can we do in the meantime? We haven't dealt with Derrick yet. We can't let Derrick take them with him to France." Trevor seemed so confident and so sure and it only made me wonder about the reason behind this.

"Yeah... But Mathias is as blind as ever." I narrowed my eyes at her figure sitting across from him.

"Gullible, is what he is. He'll believe anything, even if the world is crumbling under his feet." I went to stand up, but Angeli gripped my arm and pulled me back, her eyes pleading me not to blow our cover. Once again, I was mesmerized by those eyes. She didn't have to say a word, but I understood everything she would want to say.

"Hmm..." I heard Trevor hum, just about ten feet away from us. He had gotten closer to the back of the cave, and now towered over us, just five steps in front of where we sat. His deep voice called out, "Who's there?" Angeli flinched beside me as I finally stood up and patted her shoulder, telling her to stay put and that everything would be alright.

"Me." I replied, my voice echoing against the cave walls.

"Mathias?" Trevor's timid voice felt like it was reaching out to me, wanting to pull me in.

"Trevor." I greeted, stepping forward and away from the shadows that concealed me previously, out into the seeping light from outside.

"How long have you been here?" He asked, standing there, frozen in place.

"Long enough." I made the cold approach and narrowed my eyes at him, noting how his eyes still matched our father's same ones.

"Listen, Mathias-"

"What? What are you planning to fill me with this time? Lies? Pain? What now?" He stared at me for a long time, looking at me with a somber and far-away depth.