Chapter 57

The next day, Luke did not come to school. I had been restless the whole day, thinking about why he was not here today. I so badly wanted to just run out of the school and down the road to his house so that I can see him. I wanted to confess my feelings for him. I wanted to tell him just how much I love him.

After school was over, my conversation yesterday with Reece went through my head on loop as Aaron picked me up from school. Harper was not well, hence she was not here to pick me up; she didn't even come with Aaron to drop me at school this morning.

"Aaron?" I called my brother's attention.

"Yeah?" he glanced at me before turning to concentrate on the road again.

"Can you drop me off at Luke's house?" I asked, gently biting onto my bottom lip, "He didn't come to school today, I want to check up on him. He hasn't answered any of my messages."

"Sure," my brother shrugged, "You want me to pick you up from there later?"

"No," I shook my head at him, "Luke will drop me, and if he's not well and cannot drop me off home, I can walk. Our houses are not that far from each other's."

"Cool," my brother nodded, driving to Luke's house.

When he dropped me at Luke's house, he asked me if I was sure that I didn't need him to pick me up. After reassuring him like a million times, telling him that I would be fine, I walked across the driveway to the front door of the house.

Katie opened the door, a few moments after I had knocked on it and I beamed, "Katie!" I jumped into her arms giving her a tight hug, "You are back!"

"Of course, I am," she grinned, hugging me back, "We came home yesterday. By the way, grandma is here, don't let her see you," she told the last sentence silently.

"Okay," I whispered, pulling away from her, "Is Luke home? He didn't come to school today."

"He was not feeling well in the morning," Katie smiled, opening the door wider and letting me in, "He didn't want to go to school and I didn't have the strength to argue with him. So, I told him to stay home if that is what he wanted."

"Oh," I mumbled, biting onto my bottom lip as I looked up the stairs, at his room, "May I go see him?"

"Of course, darling," she gave me a nudge, pushing me towards the staircase, "Go see him. Are you staying for dinner?"

"No, mom," I told her, "My parents are home now and I have moved back to our old house. They would expect me home for dinner."

"Really? That is so great," she beamed, "We have a lot of catching up to do, then."

"Indeed, we do," I nodded, agreeing with her statement, "I will come back later for that."

"Alright," she said, patting my shoulder as she walked back to the living room, where I guess her mother was at.

I climbed up the stairs, two steps at a time, to reach Luke's room. When I was just outside his room, I hesitated a little, before bringing my hand up and knocking at his door. I heard some ruffling, probably him pulling the bed covers off him, before the door flew open.

I fidgeted with my hands as I looked up at Luke, our eyes locking together, "Hi," my voice was not above a whisper.

Luke looked a little surprised to see me here, but then he shook his head at me and cleared his throat, suddenly looking as if he wanted to be anywhere but here, "Um, hi."

"Hi," I repeated again, not knowing what else I should tell him. It was nerve-wracking, to be standing here, standing outside his room, in front of him.