Chapter 11

"Jessamine, what do you think you're doing?" Lord Devall hissed, turning towards her, "Step back immediately!"

"No father." She said, facing him, before turning back to the crowd, "I, Jessamine Josephine, of House Devall, Daughter of Stephan Robert, Lord of Devall, and Catherine Josephine, Lady of Devall, first-born child of their line, make a claim to the title, the title of Lady Enchantress of Devall."

Conrad's eyes opened wide, and Lord Devall's mouth dropped open. Jessamine heard gasps and mutters start below them, wondering what was happening, and searching the rafters of the ballroom, she could see Tanza, smiling at her.

"You can't." Lord Devall said weakly, "You're nothing more than a young Witch, with no training."

"On the contrary father," she said, turning fully to face him, "I am a grown Enchantress, fully graduated, with the certificate to back my claim, and my blood right to back my claim." She had spent her time in the library looking up her mother's line, and found she was the first-born child in a long line, leading back to the first Duke of Devall, and the true heir to the position.

"My dear, you cannot claim the title." A middle-aged gentleman said, stepping forward out of the crowd. "You are not a male of the line."

Jessamine curtsied deeply to her King, "Actually, Your Majesty, our House can." She said gently, "The title was passed to the first-born child, regardless of gender, for many generations of our house. It wasn't until almost two centuries ago that they began to only pass it to the males of our line, but they never corrected the book of House Devall Law."

"If that is true, why did they do this?" the King asked, "Surely they realised that it would weaken the line?"

"I'm not sure they did, Your Majesty." Jessamine said, still low to the floor, "But it certainly has, and it has almost wiped out their magical ability."

"Who tested you my dear?" The King asked, coming to stand up on the dais with them. "You may rise."

Her father and brother finally realised they were to bow to the King as he came to stand beside them. Below her, Jessamine could see everyone else pay homage to their King.

Jessamine rose, "Lord Enchanter Rushworth, Your Majesty."

The King chuckled, "Yes, he wrote to me about you," she bowed her head, "He said you had a good grasp on your power at fourteen, when you turned his son's hair different colours when they visited you. He was glad you took the boy down a few pegs, eh."

Jessamine smiled at him, "They all thought it was Conrad, Your Majesty." She could see her father's face turn red at this.

"So, I gathered my dear. Now, tell me how you have a greater claim to this title?"

Jessamine went over to the book on the podium, and leafed through it till she found the page she wanted. "Here, Your Majesty. It clearly states that the first-born child inherits the title. Not the first-born male child."

The King came over and looked at the page. "She is right." He looked over everyone, "You may all rise."

"Your Majesty," Lord Devall said, coming over, "She cannot be able, to take over the title." He managed to get out, "She has no proof of her accreditation, but my son does." He gestured towards Conrad, who pulled out a rumpled piece of paper, and handed it to the King.

"It says here that Conrad is barely the rank of a Wizard, the lowest rank, I believe, that can be held by your family. Where is your certificate my dear?" He asked Jessamine, as Conrad flushed in humiliation.