Chapter 1

Jacob's POV

I inhaled the sweet air of spring, letting it seep into my lungs before releasing a steady breath out. Soon it will no longer be spring and summer will overtake the cool and calm aura of the spring with its blazing heat. Only one week left until school's out and "summer" starts for most people. Even though it's just summer break, summer doesn't actually start for another couple weeks.

"Jake, over here!" My best friend, Zach, yelled from across the field and I threw the football his way whenever I found the right opening. He caught it with ease and tossed it back my way.

He over shot the throw and backed up, raising my arms above my head, ready to catch the ball. "Got it!" I yelled and went to catch the ball, but I ran into something behind me and the ball slipped passed my fingers.

I heard someone curse behind me as I struggled to keep my footing so I wouldn't fall over. I turned around saw someone I've never seen before, holding their head in pain. Oops.

"Hey, sorry man, that was my fault," I apologized and tried to see how hurt they were, Zach doesn't mess around with his throws. "Are you okay?"

The teen then lifted his head and smiled at me, still holding his forehead where he had been struck. "Yeah, I'm fine, thanks."

I paused for a moment, staring at him. His deep brown eyes stared back at me, looking slightly confused the longer we held eye contact. Have I seen him before? I don't believe I have. How could I have missed such striking brown eyes? And that smile of his...

"Hey are you two alright?" Zach asked as he jogged up to us.

"Yeah, we're fine," I replied, offering my hand to the guy that had been hit with the ball. He took it with a smile and stood up. I pulled my hand away just as quickly as he grabbed it. Which honestly wasn't that fast, but it felt like he was holding it a lot longer than I was comfortable with. Or maybe I was too comfortable and that's what made me uncomfortable.

"Anyway, thanks, I got to get to class," He said before running off towards the school, leaving Zach and I standing there in confusion.

"I didn't even get to ask him how much it hurt," Zach said with a look of serious disappointment. I rolled my eyes and elbowed him in his side.

"Shut up, you didn't even apologize," I said, but he only shrugged.

"Whatever, that's his fault for running away," He said and headed to the other side of the field towards the benches. I followed beside him, thinking. "I don't even know that guy so I'm not worried about it, he doesn't seem like a threat."

Now that he mentions it, I don't know the guy either. I doubt he's new, who goes to a new school with only one week left? He must have been here before, I just never noticed him. I didn't even get his name. Aw well, summer's coming up anyway, I guess it doesn't matter.

"Hey, are you even listening to me?" Zach asked and I finally snapped out of my thoughts.

"No, why would I listen to you?" I joked with a grin on my face. He didn't seem as amused though and he dumped the rest of his water onto me, soaking my clothes. "Dude, that's not cool, now I have to change."

"I think you look hot wet," A cute voice said from behind me as a pair of arms wrapped around my waist. I smiled at the familiarity and turned around to return the gesture.

"Hey, baby," I said to my girlfriend, Laney, and placed a small kiss on her soft lips. She smiled and pulled me into a deeper kiss.

"This is my cue to leave," Zach said and I mumbled a goodbye as he disappeared and left Laney and I alone out on the field.