2 ── Reunions

( Florida , 2013 )

( Miami )

WITHIN THE NEXT WEEK, AMARA HAD WANTED TO AVOID THE MARBELLA HOTEL. She knew it was inevitable, but still, a girl could dream. Considering her past with the owner, it was understandable and with what she heard about him recently, it would've gotten even worse.

Apparently, news broke that Rafael was expecting a child from an accidental surrogate mother. Accidental artificial insemination, evidently. The Harding girl would have never thought she'd even say those three words in the same sentence but she did...several times. It was a surprise, especially when she had heard even crazier things had happened in that time. His marriage was a mess, the surrogate mother was an employee, and now, a bell boy's throat was slashed in Rafael's hotel. It's like the Solano's had a damned curse, she could've sworn.

And that last detail had been why she reluctantly was brought along with Michael Cordero to address the grim situation. It certainly wasn't gonna be pretty. Although, Michael had gone up ahead of her, knowing it would be more strategic of she appeared later. He knew there was something up, but he didn't pry, too much.

As she had walked through the hotel, she noticed the numerous employees and wonderful quality of just about everything. Much like his father, it did seem like they wanted such things to be not in the dumps or in some area of mediocrity. At least, that didn't change about the boy she once knew. She didn't know what else to expect as it had been so long. He was one of the few people who had brought down her cool facade. To get under her skin, even. It was irritating, at times.

She finally got into the elevator, her heart had been pounding as if it was a bomb's timer. The ticking sounds of the elevator had put her on edge as she finally reached the tenth floor, the space for the most fancy suites, where his was. God, she wanted to just leave as she opened those doors—

"Amara" he practically gasped as Michael had stood up from her mere entrance. He still had that hilarious shocked face she would laugh at. The same perfect ass hair. The same figure of a supermodel.

"Who's this?" the woman sat along with Rafael questioned, seemingly confused. Although, her face practically screamed an 'annoyed' kind of confusion. Her eyes scanned the pale but well dressed woman, feeling like something was up.

"Amara Harding, one of the lead detectives working on the Sin Rostro case, ma'am" she spoke accordingly, offering her hand to the courtly woman. Through the proper introductions, she soon learned the woman was Rose Solano, Rafael's stepmother.

Granted, she wasn't surprised at Emilio's choice in younger women but she never thought she'd be so close to her age. Alas, soon enough, Amara finds herself already alone with Rafael. And man, what'd she give to get out of there.

"Amara, w-what—" he began off, not even knowing what to say at the appearence of his ex-best friend. It was almost appallingly confusing.

"Yes, it has been like almost a decade and yes, I still am a bitch. I'm just a tougher bitch, now" she smirked, adopting her cocky persona like he remembered.

His laugh rang in her ears, just the way it had all those years ago. Fuck, did she miss it. "So...you cleaned yourself up, a lot."

"You did too, Mr. Solano."

"Well, one's thing's for sure, we both changed" he chuckled, leading her over to the couch, beside him. Sitting down, she noticed his beaming smile. Except, it had changed. It seemed to just get better from the last time they saw each other.

"Yeah, you seem less...fuck boi-ish" she teased, her eyes gazing over his more professional appearence.

"Okay, okay that's valid."

"And you're expecting, with a different woman?"

"You heard about that?"

"I know Michael, of course I do" she rolled her eyes, acknowledging the advantage. "You do realize they're engaged, right?"

"I was hoping you of all people didn't know—"

"Why?" she almost sounded offended.

"Considering what happened the last time we spoke, I didn't know what'd you think."

"Rafael, we're both adults, what happened in the past doesn't matter" she stated, matter of a factly, eliciting a seemingly surprised Rafael, which she hadn't expected. He had dwelled a lot on the past, too much, possibly.

"R-Right, of course."

"Anyways, let's discuss all the formal shit over some tequila, like old times?" she wiggled her eyebrows, causing the Solano to giggle once more. She always caused that when the poor guy needed it.

"Like old times."