𝟎𝟎𝟎. prologue

Start from the beginning

Lydia, on the other hand, was ecstatic that she was finally going to be able to see her cousin again, her first real friend before Jessica, and the girl she still classed as her best friend, even if they hadn't spoken in years. She didn't know how different Bella would be from the last time they spoke, but she was hoping that the girl wouldn't be too different, as it would be hard to get to know her again after already doing so many years before. Her father constantly reassured her that Bella was still going to love her (how could she not?), but no matter how much he did so, Lydia was still anxious about seeing her cousin again and anxious about wether or not Bella would even like her anymore.

As she stood in her uncle Charlie's driveway, she felt her palms grow sweaty, the waiting killing her inside, hating the fact that she didn't know how the interaction was going to go and whether it was even going to go well. She always worried about what other people thought of her, it was a horrible habit that she hated, and needed to get over, but it was just who she was as a person. The more that time went on, the more stressed out she grew, the fear that Bella wouldn't like her anymore deep in her bones; they had both changed a lot from when they were kids, but Lydia just hoped that things would instantly go back to how they used to be, then she wouldn't have anything to stress about. When she heard the sound of her uncle Charlie's police cruiser approaching, she felt her dad's hand touch her back gently, "It'll be fine, Bella will still love you just as much as she did before." Her dad told her, sensing his daughters nerves radiating from her body.

Lydia gave the man a timid smile, not believing him fully, but nodding none the less as the familiar cruiser came into sight, seeing her uncle and the recognisable hair of her cousin, which had grown a lot over the course of the past years - she looked a lot like she did when they were younger, just more mature, and this made the girl a lot happier, as, maybe everyone wouldn't have changed that much from when they were kids. As Bella stepped out of the car with a little cactus in her hands, Lydia waited for her to get a good look around her old childhood home before she barged over and said hello, not wanting to overwhelm the girl too much on her first day in Forks. But Charlie looked the happiest Lydia had seen him in a while, and seeing that, made her heart warm, he has been so lost without Bella, she just hoped that this would make it all better. From what she remembered of Bella, and what she still believed to be true, the girl always felt overwhelmed about new things, and people, so she hung back, not wanting to push her limits with the girl.

Bella noticed Lydia shortly after climbing out of her dads car, having looked around the area first before seeing her cousin and uncle stood by the front door of Charlie's house waiting for her; she felt nervous immediately, knowing that they would be disappointed with who she was, since she was a lot different from the outgoing child she used to be. Ever since she stopped visiting Forks, she changed, and she wasn't the same kid - Lydia however, looked more alike herself as a child than she did, her hair still being the same length and colour, and her facial features just having matured overtime. "You remember Lydia and Uncle Gerard, right, Bells?" Charlie asked, breaking Bella from her thoughts as she nodded her head at her dads words.

"Yeah, Cha- Dad." Bella said, just about correcting herself as she nearly called him Charlie again, she knew for a fact that it was going to be hard to get the hang of not calling him that. Lydia never knew why her cousin always called her dad by his name, she had never done that with her own father, but then again, she wasn't estranged with her father, and she spent every single day with him, something that Bella had never done, not even as a kid, when her dad would be at work a lot of the nights and she would spend it with her mom.

The interaction was awkward, everyone in the situation knew that, and Lydia turned to her dad with a knowing look, the girl knowing that Bella probably wanted to settle in and get herself sorted out without everyone watching over her. "It's great to see you again." Lydia told her cousin, when her dad had merely shrugged at her as he didn't know what to do. Just because he was a father to a teenage girl, didn't mean that he knew how to deal with them; he still had issues with his own daughter that he tried to figure out.