00

the last thing esperanza heard that night, was the sound of fireworks going off in the distance and the soft cries from her broken friends.

how could this have happened?

how is it that only her and her friends knew latrelle had done this?

the streets of freeridge had gone to shit: the prophets and santos constantly going at each other until a truce was called. however, many people got hurt in the process—innocent people, at that.

balloons, pictures, vigils, and graffiti littered the sidewalks and walls of the streets.

ever since olivia's passing, cesar, esperanza, ruby, monse, and jamal rarely spoke to each other—more so ruby and cesar.

as soon as eva and derek heard about ruby and olivia getting shot, they sent the youngest navarra away for a few weeks until the streets calmed down a bit. the latina returned home a month before new years.

"damn, hermanita," derek said over the phone, "never heard you so quiet!"

"how funny, derek," esperanza said, as she put in the hoop earring, "besides, i've been quiet for the past couple months! déjame en paz!"

"just because there's a truce, don't mean anything,"

"derek—"

"and el niño that shot ruby is still out there,"

"i know but—"

"tu no sabes eso," derek replied, as cesar opened her bedroom door.

"bad news," he said, "i burned the cookies,"

"is that—"

quickly, esperanza hung up, looking at cesar as if he was crazy.

"en serio?" she asked, a second before her phone rang.

"escúchame—"

"why is he at the house?" derek questioned angrily.

"he's got nowhere, derek,"

"he shouldn't be at the house!"

"der—"

"no! don't do that thing you do! sabes que es peligroso. he can't stay,"

"come on, derek," espy rubbed her temples in frustration.

"just– just promise me he won't be staying anymore,"

"por favor,"

"promesa,"

"i promise," the girl gave in.

sending her boyfriend a look, he leaned against the doorway to her room. glancing at the ground, esperanza hung up the phone and sent cesar the smallest of smiles.