Chapter 2

Cassi's pov

Zac still frightens me a little but I'm hoping he'll protect me and...love me. No one has ever loved me and I'm hoping he will. I don't want to get my hopes up though. He seems like a good guy but I can't trust him yet. I already trust him but I shouldn't I can't I gotta stop. I jumped out of his bed waking him up. "Cassi?" he asked his voice deep and rough making him sound inhuman. "Yeah?" I asked. "What are you doing up?" he questioned. "I got scared." I said truthfully. "Of what?" he asked. "Of umm..." I paused and looked around the room. "Of me." he answered for me. I nodded. "Come here babe. I won't hurt you. If the judge didn't trust me with you I wouldn't have you okay? can't you see I'm trying?" he asked. Okay he's right. He's trying hard too from going from a 19 year old with no responsibility to having a 16 year old to take care of you can defiantly tell he's trying. i walked toward him. He got out of bed and walked toward me too until I was at arms distance. He then picked me up and set me on his hip. "Let's go get a glass of milk or something." He said walking out of his room. I nodded into his shoulder. He sat me on a stool then grabbed a couple glasses and filled them with milk. "Here." He gave me one. "Thanks. Sorry about being scared of you I'm not used to being able to trust people so quickly. People always hurt me. Mentally, emotionally, and yes sometimes physically." I admitted. "Cassi. I'm not perfect but I will try my hardest to never hurt you okay?" he asked. "I know, thank you." I whispered. "No need to thank me." He declared. I smiled. No I'm not one of those kids that never smiles I try to stay strong and smile no matter what so I've never quit smiling. "I've got work to do and you need your sleep so I'm going to lay with you until you fall asleep then I'm going to get busy okay?" he asked. "No sleep with me. When I wake up and you aren't there I'm gonna be scared!" I whined. "How did you sleep when I wasn't around?" He asked. "Not well." I answered. "I'll be in the same room Cassi." he told me. "Can you sit up in bed and do it?" I asked. "No I have to have the desk." He said with a sigh. "Okay if you get done before I wake up will you sleep with me?" I asked. "Yes Cassi." He answered.

Zac's pov

I picked her up and she cuddled her face into my chest. She's so cuddly and I'm just not. I'll go through it for her though. I know I'm supposed to be this big bad tough guy that's in a gang and I am but there's always a good side to people and I guess Cassi brings out the good in me. I laid her down on the right side of the bed cause I'm a good guy like that. I brushed away some fly away hair with my hand and gave her a small smile. i laid down with her for just a bit like I said I would until she fell asleep. She was really tired so it didn't take long. I slipped on my jacket and quietly made my way outside where Joe was waiting for me. "You had something to tell me?" he asked. He's the leader. When he retires next year though I will be. "I had to adopt a kid sir. Was caught stealing." I said making the story short before Cassi woke up. "Where's the kid?" he asked. "Asleep upstairs sir. Scared of everything." I answered. "Zachary Sanders how are you going to manage taking care of a child and working with or running a gang?" He asked. "I'll manage Joe I don't know how but I'll make it work. "Okay well I'll trust you to make it work Zac." Joe told me. "Okay thanks Joe." I said relieved. That's what I love about this gang. They have trust in you. "Anytime Zac see you soon." He smiled. "And I want to meet the kid okay?" he questioned. "Of course. Just keep quiet about the gang okay?" I asked. "I'm not retarded Zac I know." He laughed then ran off. I ran inside to see Cassi in bed asleep still. Thank god. I laid down with her and fell asleep.

An hour later

"Zac!" I heard a whisper-shout. "What babe." I asked sitting up. "You got a text from Joe." She said. "Okay." I said groggily. I grabbed my phone and unlocked it. "You adopted Cassandra Savannah Brown born September 28 1998 at 10:42 am allergic to mushrooms and hates tomatoes. Half German half Cherokee Indian." is what the text read. "Crazy stalker." I chuckled. "You're exactly right" I texted back. "What'd he say?" She asked. I repeated the message back to her up until the time of birth. "How'd he know?" She asked. "I told him I adopted you." I said "oh he was just showing you he could memorize?" She asked. "Yeah something like that." I said. "Hungry?" I asked. She nodded. We went out to eat at Freddy's then went to the mall to get food, clothes and decorations for Cassi's room. Once we were done we ate supper at IHOP and went home to start painting cassi's room. At nine I made her shower and start getting ready for bed. By ten we were both tired and ready for bed. "Goodnight Zac thanks for everything." She told me before cuddling into me. "Goodnight Cassi and you don't have to thank me for any of that." I told her. "I'm not even your kid I'm just some random kid that lives in your house now." I said. "Cassi don't ever think I think of you that way you may not be my kid but I'll treat you and love you as if you were." I told her. She started crying. "What's wrong?" I asked. "Nothing's wrong, I've just waited so long for someone to say that they would love me for so long that I never thought it would happen." She cried. "Shit Cassi. That's terrible." I said shocked. "I'm glad you picked me over jail." She declared. "I'm kinda glad I stole that day." I told her laughing she laughed too. "Okay go to bed it's bedtime. goodnight Cassi love you." I said laid my head down. "Goodnight Zac love you too." She replied and cuddled into me. I really do love this little girl.