"Yes" I admitted.

"And?" She prompted.

I didn't know what to say. Honestly, he didn't seem like he was ready to get back together with her, but I didn't want to upset her.

"You don't have to say anything" She burst into tears, "I get it"

"He still loves you!" I tried to soothe her.

"I know he does" She said, looking straight into my eyes with her tear filled ones, "But that's not always enough, is it?"

I almost laughed at how in sync the two were, even while they're broken up.

"No" I said, voice breaking, "It's not"

I rubbed her back soothingly while she cried on my shoulder for the rest of the lunch period. After lunch, I convinced her that it was probably best if she faked sick and headed home early, so she did. I promised to call her later, when I'm done with school.

When I got to AP Chem that afternoon, both Grayson and Brayden were already in their seats. Grayson ignored me still, but it felt different this time, probably because of what I heard on Friday.

"Okay, it's time for new seats!" The teacher clapped his hands together lightly, "Write down who you want as your lab partner on a piece of paper, and I'll do my best to put you with that person"

I tapped my pen against my paper thoughtfully, but my mind had been made up already. I think that eavesdropping on Friday's conversation made me feel more warmly towards Grayson again, because my decision was made fairly easily.

I wrote down Grayson.

Brayden wrote down me.

And I have no clue who Grayson wrote down.

All I know was that by the end of the period when we were put in our new seats, Grayson was my lab partner, and Brayden was seated at the table directly next to me.

The tension was unreal. I was desperate to break it, any possible way I could.

"So" I said, turning to Grayson, "I guess we're lab partners, then"

"Leave me the hell alone" He said coldly.

His words hit me like a slap to the face, and I gaped at him while he glared at me with those cold brown eyes.

I had forgotten that just because I felt differently, doesn't mean things had actually changed. I left that afternoon with a deeply unsettled feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I did everything that night to ensure that I'd be able to fall into an easy sleep. I comforted Chloe for an hour on the phone about Josh, I worked out so that I'd have no energy left, and took a warm shower to soothe me before climbing into my bed, thoroughly exhausted.

I wish I could say that it had made a difference, but it didn't.

"Serena, help me!" The girl's voice screamed from within the glossy black coffin, "Please, help me, please Serena!"

"I'm trying!" I shouted, as the rain poured down on my head, blurring my vision and making my hair stick to my neck. I pulled at the coffin with all of the strength I could muster.

"C'mon Serena, you're not working hard enough" The voice answered dissaprovingly. I could feel the dissapointment, and I tried to pull even harder at the lid.

I pulled and pulled until it finally popped open. The girl's beautiful face remained there for just long enough to say one thing to me.

"Of course you couldn't save me, Serena" She laughed, a harsh expression on her flawless face, "You're pathetic, and no one wants to stay around you. I had to die just to escape you"