nothing good ever lasts

"Fear is a phoenix.
You can watch it burn a thousand times
and still it will return."

𝘋𝘦𝘢𝘳 𝘈𝘯𝘯𝘪𝘦, 

𝘓𝘦𝘰'𝘴 𝘷𝘰𝘪𝘤𝘦𝘮𝘢𝘪𝘭 𝘢𝘤𝘵𝘶𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘮𝘺 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨. 

𝘐𝘵'𝘴 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘴𝘰 𝘭𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘐'𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘥 𝘢 𝘣𝘢𝘥 𝘥𝘢𝘺, 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩 𝘮𝘦𝘢𝘯𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘨𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘭𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘭𝘺. 

𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘵'𝘴 𝘢 𝘨𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨, 𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵? 

𝘉𝘶𝘵 𝘥𝘦𝘦𝘱 𝘥𝘰𝘸𝘯, 𝘐 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘪𝘵 𝘸𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘭𝘢𝘴𝘵.

𝘕𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘨𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘦𝘦𝘮𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘭𝘢𝘴𝘵.
- 𝘈𝘯𝘯𝘪𝘦 

Leo's smile faltered as he read on, saddened by Annie's lack of belief in lasting happiness. He despised her pessimism about good things enduring. He longed to prove her wrong, to show her that happiness could indeed be sustained. It became his silent vow to change her perspective.

Leo felt a sense of unease as Andrea Murphy sidled up to him, her presence exuding confidence and self-assuredness. Her appearance alone, with her striking beauty and poised demeanour, was enough to make heads turn in admiration. 

Leo couldn't deny that she was attractive, but her reputation for seeking attention at any cost left a sour taste in his mouth.

He stiffened slightly as Andrea's fingers trailed down his arm in a calculatedly seductive manner, her smirk suggesting she knew exactly how she affected him. "What do you want, Andrea?" he asked, trying to keep his tone neutral despite the discomfort bubbling inside him.

"I see you've made a new friend." 

Leo's jaw tightened at Andrea's condescending tone, his dislike for her growing with each word she spoke. He resisted the urge to roll his eyes, maintaining a cool composure despite the rising irritation.

"She has a name," he retorted sharply, his voice laced with a hint of annoyance. "And unlike some people, she's genuine and doesn't need to flaunt herself for attention." Leo's words were a subtle jab at Andrea's reputation for seeking validation through superficial means.

Andrea's smile faltered for a moment before she quickly recovered, her expression turning icy. "Well, suit yourself," she said dismissively, tossing her hair over her shoulder. "Just remember who your real friends are, Leo. Don't get too caught up with the wrong crowd." 

Leo narrowed his eyes, his patience wearing thin. "Keep your thoughts to yourself, Andrea. Nobody here is asking for them." With a dismissive glance, he turned and strode down the hallway, eager to distance himself from Andrea.

Andrea concealed her annoyance as she fell into step beside him. "Come on, love. I'm just watching out for you. Wouldn't want some freak to tarnish your reputation."

Leo halted abruptly, his gaze piercing as he turned to face Andrea. "She's not a freak. And nobody here wants to hear whatever you have to say. So, do us all a favour and walk away from me, Andrea."

Andrea gasped, her eyebrows knitting together in disbelief. "What's gotten into you? Since when do you defend people like her?" Her voice dripped with disdain. Andrea, undeterred by his dismissive demeanor, matched his stride with an infuriating smirk. "You know I'm right, Leo. You can't afford to be associated with someone like her."

Leo gritted his teeth, resisting the urge to snap back at her. He knew Andrea thrived on confrontation, and he refused to give her the satisfaction of a reaction.

"Save your concern for someone who values your opinion," Leo retorted, his tone sharp with irritation. He veered off to the side, hoping to lose Andrea in the crowded hallway.

But Andrea persisted, her voice dripping with disdain. "You're making a mistake, Leo. Don't say I didn't warn you."

Leo shook his head in exasperation, refusing to dignify her words with a response. He forged ahead, determined to leave Andrea and her toxicity behind him as he focused on getting to his next class.

"What was that about?" Jay's voice broke through Leo's thoughts, pulling him back to reality.

Leo halted, turning to face Jay, confusion evident in his expression. "What?"

"With Andrea, I heard that. Was that about Annie?" Jay's tone was uneasy, tinged with concern.

Leo let out a weary sigh. Knowing Jay's close friendship with Annie, he understood his worry. "Yeah, it was. Andrea doesn't know Annie and doesn't want me to be friends with her."

Jay's arms crossed tightly over his chest, his expression growing more troubled. "Because she's not up to your crowd's standards? Because your clique doesn't think she belongs here?"

Leo felt a pang of frustration at the presumption. He shook his head vehemently. "No, it's not about that. Annie... she's perfect just the way she is, and she's a better person than any of them could ever hope to be."

Jay scoffed, his disbelief palpable. "You say that now." He shot Leo a meaningful glance before turning to walk away.

Leo hurried to catch up, a sense of urgency in his voice. "Wait, hold on. What do you mean, 'I say that now'?"

Jay shrugged, his expression unreadable. "You should know. It's your crowd that's hurt her before."

Leo blinked, momentarily thrown off balance by Jay's sudden intensity, his steps faltering for a fleeting moment before he regained his composure and matched Jay's pace. The corridors seemed to narrow, the air thick with unspoken tension as Leo struggled to grasp the weight of Jay's words.

"What does that mean? Who hurt her?" Leo's voice betrayed a mix of confusion and concern, his brow furrowing in earnest inquiry.

Jay came to an abrupt halt, his movements abrupt as he turned to face Leo, his expression hardened with a resolve born of protective instinct. "I don't trust you, Leo. But Annie... she seems to hold you in high regard. You bring her happiness, for which I'm grateful, given all she's been through. But if this is some sort of game, or if you harbor ill intentions toward her, let me warn you now: it won't end well for you."

Leo's eyes widened in disbelief, the weight of Jay's suspicion heavy upon him. "Why would I ever hurt her? I have no such intentions. I genuinely care about her, even if you doubt it. But what happened? Who hurt her?" His words were tinged with urgency, a desperate plea for understanding.

Jay let out a heavy sigh, his gaze flickering momentarily as he sought the right words. "It's not my place to divulge her story, Leo. But understand this: if Annie finds herself facing adversity because of her association with you, you'd better have her back. Making her happy doesn't absolve you of responsibility when she's under fire from Andrea and her cronies."

With that, Jay turned on his heel and walked away, leaving Leo standing there, a whirlwind of emotions and unanswered questions swirling within him. 

The weight of Jay's warning hung heavily in the air, a stark reminder of the delicate balance between happiness and harm. Leo was left to grapple with the uncertainty, his thoughts consumed by the enigma of Annie's past. 

✉