you just might be my lucky charm

"How hidden the heart. How frightened we are of being known, and yet how desperately we long for it."

"I can't believe my eyes," Amani mused, her grin widening. "You're actually here."

As Annie ascended the crowded bleachers, a brisk breeze sent a shiver down her spine. Amani lunged at her, their embrace nearly toppling them both over.

"It's not that big of a deal," Annie murmured sheepishly, settling between her friends. While she knew her attendance at a football game was out of character, she hadn't expected such incredulity from her friends.

She breathed in the crisp air, surveying the scene. The energy was palpable. The crowd roared with excitement, eagerly awaiting the start of the game. Students sported their school colors, some adorned with spirited face paint. The scent of greasy food hung in the air, adding to the atmosphere.

Annie found herself questioning why she was there, perched on those bleachers. She typically avoided school events. But Leo's invitation had bestowed upon her an unexpected sense of significance, as if her presence at the game held some importance. After the kindness he had shown her, she would have felt remiss not to attend.

As the sun dipped low, casting golden hues upon the field, Annie felt a stirring within her, a whisper of possibility carried on the wind.

"It is a big deal!" Amani's arm enveloped Annie, laughter dancing in her voice. "I'm thrilled you're here, truly. What made you change your mind anyway?"

Annie released a slow breath, her gaze drifting across the field. Coaches bellowed instructions, players clustered in animated conversation. Her eyes scanned the crowd, searching for a familiar brunette silhouette. "I thought it might be exciting," she shrugged. "A departure from the usual."

Jay raised an eyebrow, nudging her gently. "I must say, I'm enjoying this new facet of you, Annie-bell." He winked at Amani. "Our little wallflower is spreading her wings."

Annie rolled her eyes playfully. "Oh, cut it out."

Finally, her gaze settled on Leo. 

Clad in his football uniform, he conversed with teammates, including Jack. The bold letters on his jersey proclaimed "SMITH," the number 03 emblazoned beneath. A smile tugged at Annie's lips as she watched him.

As the game unfolded, Annie found herself enjoying it more than she anticipated. 

She listened attentively as Jay explained the nuances of the game, and laughed with Amani at Jay's enthusiastic outbursts whenever the team scored. Though she didn't cheer loudly, she sat on the edge of her seat, applauding fervently whenever Jack or Leo made a play.

During halftime, as the team gathered for a much-needed breather, Leo lifted his helmet, scanning the bleachers with anticipation. His heart skipped a beat when he spotted Annie amidst the crowd, a grin tugging at his lips. He had hoped she would come, but secretly doubted it.

Their eyes locked, a silent understanding passing between them. Annie's cheeks flushed as she returned his smile, her gaze momentarily dropping to her lap, unable to contain her fluttering nerves.

After the game, Annie and her friends strolled toward Jay's car, their laughter filling the air. With Jack off socializing, Jay offered to give Annie a lift home.

Amidst their banter, Annie's attention snapped to the sound of her name being called.

"Annie! Hold on a sec!"