chapter three

AFTER AN HOUR OF BEING IN THE PARTY, Vera was sure that she was going to be sick all the socializing with the Satanists that she was forced to endure. Her eyes ached from glancing at the intricate designs on the mahogany walls of the function room and the burgundy curtains hanging from the tall ceiling. The wine she brought was great and it was the only thing keeping her in that wretched place. But not like it helped her in anyway. Being a full-pledged Demon made her unable to get drunk. The tiny percentage of alcohol in her veins didn't do much in helping her be a little kind. She was sure that her irritation had rubbed off on the people she socialized with and talked to. Her stomach churned whenever she was close to humans.

It didn't help that Michael's pale blue eyes didn't leave her as soon as she excused herself from them. Vera could feel his intense gaze on her every time she moved, like a predator stalking its prey. But the blonde wasn't a prey. No, she was far from it. She was the thing that even monsters under the bed were scared of. Clasping the glass of champagne in her hand tightly, Vera narrowed her eyes when it locked into the Anti-Christ's blue ones. She raised an eyebrow as she took a small sip from her drink, raising the skinny glass up to her lips. As the liquid entered her mouth and slid down her throat, she refused to break eye contact with him. It was only when a young woman spoke to him that he finally looked away. The blonde took that as her cue to put down her empty glass on top of a random tall table and head towards the comfort room.

Finally slipping inside the white-walled restroom, she exhaled deeply as her hands tightened on her purse. Fortunately, the cubicles were empty. The noises from the party were also barely audible now, muffled by the walls of the room. Vera stared at her reflection in the mirror, her lips curling up a bit upon seeing how perfect she still looked. Turning the faucet on, she washed her hands under the lukewarm water before she reached into her bag and pulled out a tube of pink lipstick that she had applied earlier. Pressing her lips together, the blonde swiped a generous amount on her upper lip then on her lower lip. She used her ring finger to get rid of any of the excess on her cupid's bow and on the side of her lips. As she was inserting the lipstick back in her purse, the door to the comfort room opened. From the scent of something burning and the dark aura in the air that reminded her of her boss, Vera immediately knew who followed her.

"Hi, Michael," She acknowledged his presence without sparing him a glance, her brown eyes still focused on her reflection on the mirror, "What can I do for you?"

She heard his footsteps as he walked towards her, the sound of his leather shoes echoing against the silence of the comfort room. Michael's tall figure finally came into view as the blonde leaned back at the mirror, refusing to turn around to meet his eyes. She could feel her blood boil a bit at his presence, the hatred seeping back into her veins and replacing the alcohol that was once there.