Chapter 14- Cameron's POV

Start from the beginning

"Sup, man."

"Hey, you're mom let me in. Look, we have to talk. Get dressed and I'll meet you outside," he said and I agreed. Chase sure can be a real pain at times, and a real talker, but when he's serious, he's a man of a few words. I put on a pair of black jeans and white t-shirt before heading outside.

He was out there sitting on our porch steps when I went and sat beside him. He was fidgeting with his hands. Man, he must be nervous.

"Cam," he started. "Look, bro, I'm sorry about the other day." Took him long enough. He was referring to the day when we went to school and Casey introduced him to Dunya. He acted like a real jerk then, and he never talked to me since. "I was just really mad because you broke the deal we had. I mean, you *insert curse word here* fell in love with her! I knew the bet was stupid to begin with, but I didn't think you'd actually like her, man! I was just so fumed about everything and I took it out on her, but I honestly didn't mean to come off as rude as I did. I'm sorry, man, I'm sorry," he buried his head in his hands. Man, he was a true wreck.

"Bro it's okay. I understand. I mean, I didn't even think I was going to fall for her either, you know? At first, I was so determined to just get her to dig me so I could win the bet and prove my power, but then, I don't even know what happened."

"You guys are so different, how's this gonna work?" he asked. "You can't even see what her body looks like, yo. How do you know if it's any good?"

"Dude, we had a water fight one day and she was soaked from head to toe. Trust me, it's real good," I slapped him on the back. The only way to talk to Chase is by using the only language he knows. Testosterone. "And ever since I met her, it's like I've been finding things about my own self that I never thought about before. She makes me look at the world and myself in a new light. Like there's so much more to it than just chicks, cars, and reputations to uphold. She's not an airhead like the other girls I date, and she's not interested in just shoving her goods at me. I don't know man, she's different," I shook my head trying to understand myself.

"Man, she's got you whipped," he chuckled and I let out a whole-hearted laugh.

"Dude, the other day when she was in the hospital, it was so painful to see her so helpless lying there like that connected to oxygen masks and tubes. It was like there was nothing I could do about it, and just even the thought of losing her," I began choking up and changed the subject. "If by whipped you mean helping me find myself, and realizing how hard it is not to be physical with a person you're falling in love with, then yeah, man, I'm whipped."

Chase looked at me wide-eyed, and the words that flew out of my mouth registered in my brain. "Sh*t! I'm actually in love with her!"

"Yeah, man."

"Well, what do I do?" I asked.

"I don't know, I've never been in love," he shrugged.

When Chase left, I went back inside and played some firefighter with Maxy to try and empty my mind, but it didn't work. Even Ma noticed my weird behavior.

"Ma, I think I need an aspirin or something," I told her and she looked at me worriedly.

"You're not on a hangover, are you? I haven't seen you drink in months."

"No, Ma, I'm just, I don't know. I'm really confused and don't know what to do," I told her.

"Tell me, what's wrong, baby?" she asked and I sighed.

"Ma, there's this girl," I started and she nodded knowingly. "And I think I might be in love with her but things are just so complicated and I just wish I knew what I should do. But it's not that simple. I mean, with any girlit'd be simple, but not with her it's not." It's true, because I knew girls. I had a system with them. It was like a+b=c. A plus B always equals c. But not with Dunya it doesnt. With her its like a whole calculus equation whose solution ends up being the square root of a negative integer. Impossible? Yeah.