A New Family

Shadow roused from her slumber to the sound of high beeping. It took a moment for her to register the other sounds in the room as all her scenes slowly came back.

"When do you think she will wake up?"

It took her a moment before she recognized the voice as belonging to Clark. She was still dazed but wanted comfort.

"Clark?"

Her voice was barely a whisper and sounded like sandpaper. She could hear more voices and sudden hands on her. Shadow could hear the static words of the others but she wanted her friend.

"Clark."

She voice was only a small bit louder but it seemed to get the message across. The feeling of the other's presence disappeared and Shadow became worried till she felt a hand on her arm.

"Hey Shadow, I'm here for you ok. Could you try and open your eyes for me?"

The calm voice of her friend filled her ears crystal clear. With some effort, she managed to flutter her eyes open to the blinding white light. She groaned at the assault on her eyes and let her head loll to the side where it meant the worried eyes of her friend.

"Oh thank fuck your ok, I was so worried Shadow."

She gave him a weak smile before mustering up her strength.

"Water. Please."

It took a lot of force to let out those two words but Clark understood. He called the nurse and asked her to get some water. After she came back Clark helped her sit up and held the drink to her lips as he slowly let the liquid slide down her desert throut. With her mouth no longer painfully dry Shadow gave him a quiet thank you before she noticed two grown up she didn't recognize and were not doctors. Clark followed her gazed and realized what she was looking at.

"Shadow, these are my parents, they drove me here when I received a message that you were in the hospital. Apparently I am your emergency contact."

Shadow just looked away in shame or embarrassment, it was hard to tell, and made a noise of disapproval. Before she could say anything though Clark's parents came over to her bed.

"Well it's a pleasure to meet you Shadow, I wish it was under better circumstances."

The woman gave a gentle smile, one that Shadow tried her best to return.

"My name is Nicole, I'm Clark's mother."

Shadow let out a cracked hi and Nicole just smiled. Shadows eyes turned to the man at her side.

"My name is Lance, Clark talks a lot about you, nice to finally meet his girlfriend."

A look of anger and frustration flashed in Clark's eyes.

"Seriously dad, I already told you, she's just a friend. Right Shadow?"

He looked over to the recovering girl and she gave him a nod.

"Well, either way, do you know what happened?"

Shadow tried to swallow only for it to go down thick. She took a deep breath, relishing in the clean thin oxygen the mask provided. She looked to Clark and asked for a bit more water, to which he readily helped give her. After she felt alright she looked back to Lance.

"Not really. Just saw fire."

She dropped her head and gripped her arms pulling them harshly agent her chest.

"I lost my home. I have nowhere to go."

Shadow could feel a few tears fall from her watering eyes at the knowledge that her home of many years was gone.

"Well, I'm sure you could live with a relative of some sort."

Nicole tried to give her a smile but her pain was evident, Shadow just shook her head.

"I have no family. Been alone for years. They're all dead."

The shocked silence of the family was defining as she waited for a response. She then heard some whispering from them, but her hearing still wasn't fully back, so she didn't know what they said. Soon they look back to her and she just gives them a frown of broken hopelessness.

"Well since Clark cares for you a lot, and I can't in right conscience leave you without a home, I want you to move in with us."

Shadow looked at the women in pure shock, how on earth could she!

"Thank you, thank you so much."

Shadow began to cry as they embraced her, welcoming the new member of the family.