Digging Off

Toshiro sat down in the parlor chair watching as people move around. While the place was more modern then the place in soul society it had an air of familiarity to the room. Isshin sat down across from hi, as the boy swung his bag down beside the chair. Toshiro closed his eyes and felt the cool of the room. He found himself enjoying the atmosphere.

"So, how long has it been since you've given yourself a chance to have a bit of fun, a chance to relax persay?" Isshin asked firmly.

Toshiro's eyes snapped open. "I still take naps every day after I finish the paperwork."

"You and your naps," Isshin let out a mellow laugh and found himself glad that one thing had stayed the same.

"You know why I believe that." The preteen suddenly piped up as his face twisted into a serious scowl.

"Its good for you to get plenty of sleep so you are healthy. It is a proven fact that children need to sleep longer then adults because they are still growing," Isshin watched as Toshiro still scowled at him. "I know you don't like being referred to as a kid, but you are one."

"You're one of the few people I think I don't mind bringing that up," Toshiro muttered.

"Then whatever is the problem?" Isshin shook his head in disbelief.

"You are laughing at me," the boy stated firmly.

This caused the man to let out a sig, as his fingers tapped at the table. "Are you being serius right now or are you trying to pull my leg by being sarcastic?"

"You thought it was funny that I still take naps," came the firm and somewhat irritated reply.

"I thought it was funny that your naps was the first thing that popped into your head when I asked how long it has been since you've had a chance to relax. I included having fun in there. I know for a fact not all your naps are fun. I should remember better then anyone that you sometimes have daymares," Isshin stated firmly.

"It's been awhile. I can't very well remember the last time I had a daymare or a nightmare," Toshiro stated firmly. He closed his eyes thinking for a bit. "I think the last time I had fun was my last birthday. Momo..."

Isshin watched as the boy's eyes snapped open. Toshiro's eyes revealed that he was rather aware of what he had just said. There was both pain and shock written over his face. Toshiro then glanced at the ground. The man spoke up. "Try and think of it this way. How about we make it so that you have a good memory to think back on; a recent good memory."

"I guess," Toshiro began to fidget with the tablecloth.

"What kind of ice cream do you want?" Isshin asked causing Toshiro's head to suddenly bob up.

"Umm..." The white haired preteen suddenly blinked a couple of times. "This is why I don't like coming. There are a lot of options."

"Take your time," the man stated firmly.

"But... you've got to get back to the clinic," Toshiro fidgeted again. He glanced up at the sign. "I'll go with mint."

"You sure?" Isshin got up.

"I... maybe... that is what I want this time," the boy affirmed. His teal eyes watched as the man got up and placed an order at the counter.A few minutes later Isshin came back with two cold treats. He gingerly took his mint flavored treat. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," the man stated. "As I said, you deserve to have a bit of fun; more often then you let yourself. It's no wonder you had a mental break down like you did."

Toshiro didn't at first say something in respons, and instead took a spoon and dug in. When he put some ice cream into his mouth he closed his eyes and savored the taste. Isshin simply began to dig into his own and watched the small taicho carefully. Toshiro finally opened his eyes and then followed suit with digging in and watching the older Kurosaki.

"So... how is it that you were able to balance out your job as a taicho and yet still have fun without people wondering about your... ability to take care of things and thinking that you weren't too childish to do your job?" the preteen shingami asked.

"I don't really know so I can't give you an awnser on that one Toshiro," Isshin tapped his spoon on the clear bowl. "I've never really worried about what other people thought of me. Do you really worry about what people think of you?"

"I kept telling myself that no, I don't care what people think," Toshiro sighed and continued to eat his treat. "But truth is... I'm starting to think I do care. I don't like the idea of being rejected."

"You know that you don't have to worry about me ever rejecting you right?" The man gave him a smile only to have Toshiro pause half-way through his eating.

Setting down his spoon Toshiro glanced at the table. "I should know that no matter what I do you'll be out there looking out for me. But... I still find myself questioning if that is actually true. I really messed up on my first day of school and I don't think I set a good impression with anyone."

"You know it is all right to tell me exactly how you're feeling, don't you?" Isshin watched the boy blink a couple of times. "I also think a few people have a good impression of you. The principle's secretary for one."

"I feel like it is soul reaper academy all over again. At academy, even after I prooved that I could very well handle myself I ended up only having one person make an attempt to make friends with me," Toshiro watched the man's face and then continued. "Before you even suggest me trying to be the first one to make friends I'll tell you that just won't work."

"Why not?" the man finished his ice cream.

"I can't," Toshiro stated firmly. "I don't know how to act my age and nobody likes a kid who acts like an adult. I've rather gotten used to that fact. Is that why your daughter hates me?"

Isshin couldn't help but let out a laugh. "I don't think Karin hates you. She's not exactly... she has her own social problems."

"I don't get it. I really don't," came the response through a mouthful of food.

Isshin reached over and ruffled Toshiro's hair. "Some thing take time and that is part of growing up. Don't rush yourself."