"There must be about seven hundred people here," agreed Miles. "Not half the passengers, but close to it. I'm with you—let's call it a night. Tomorrow is Glacier Bay and I want to be up early enough to reserve a spot at the window in the upper-level lounge."

Miles and Myrtle were walking down the narrow hallway to their rooms when a wild-looking Eugenia leaped into the hall. She spotted Miles and Myrtle approaching and hurried up to them. "She's gone," Eugenia gasped.

"Who? Celeste?" asked Myrtle with a frown.

"Yes. I went in to check on her and she's not in her cabin. I like to make sure my aunt is settled at night before she goes to sleep," said Eugenia. She was clasping and unclasping her hands as if to keep them from fluttering away.

Miles said, "Maybe she was hungry and left for a snack. They have snacks set up near the pool deck. I could walk there with you."

But Eugenia was shaking her head, setting her glasses askew. Her voice was anxious as she said, "But she wouldn't do that. My aunt always follows the same evening routine. She turns in at exactly the same time. She doesn't like changing anything around. And she says eating after supper gives her indigestion and prevents her from sleeping."

Eugenia seemed well-versed on what Celeste would say. "So you're saying it's extremely out of character. And you've been in her cabin. Do you mind if Miles and I take a look?"

Eugenia shook her head. She put the room card into the door with shaking hands.

They walked inside. Myrtle exclaimed, "But it's a mess in here! Was there a scuffle?"

There were papers scattered on the bed and desk. Celeste's suitcase had been pulled out from under the bed and put in the middle of the floor.

Miles asked, "Is Celeste usually untidy?"

"No. But sometimes Randolph makes a mess," said Eugenia with a shrug. "But when he does, Celeste asks me to come right in and clean it up. She doesn't like living in any type of disorder."

"Is anything missing?" asked Myrtle.

"My aunt," said Eugenia dully.

Myrtle recalled that Celeste had said Eugenia wasn't the brightest bulb in the package. "Besides your aunt. Is anything else missing?"

Eugenia looked around the messy room with a dazed expression on her face. "A champagne bottle. There was a large bottle of champagne on the desk."

Miles said, "Randolph likely took it."

Eugenia shook her head adamantly again. "No. No, he'd never take something of Celeste's. He'd just order his own drinks at the bars. The champagne was Celeste's and she was planning on drinking it while we cruised through Glacier Bay tomorrow."