Chapter 10

Elizabeth's POV - On Benton's ship

The two months that the Ship was on its way to Scotland, Liz had no problems with feeling sick or tired. Her stomach grew, the baby kicked and was, as far as she knew, healthy. The blush on her cheeks slowly returned and she didn't refuse the food that Benton's men came to bring her. Her hunger was hard to satisfy and Elizabeth had to eat for the child that grew big and strong inside of her.

Spring was even noticeable on the stormy seas although they once had to pass through a heavy storm. But, Benton's ship was a strong one and its Captain knew every crook and cranny from his vessel. The old bearded man steered the ship without problems through the wild waves. The wind that the storm carried did eventually break a mast and Liz remembered the heavy creaking sound of wood followed by the hard sound of the mast that fell on deck. The sail on it slowed them down by hanging in the water.

When she made her way on deck, the storm had passed and the men on board were busy with removing the wooden beam that once stood proudly with its sail. They used saws and axes, sweat and tears. It slowed them down for a week before they were on their way again.

After a week or two, Elizabeth had read the few books that were board and started to get bored. The Captain, a friendly man noticed her boredom and offered her to help with the cook, a gesture she gladly took. Even though that the ship's kitchen was small and Liz had to make sure to not bump her belly against something, she was happy with the distraction.

The evenings were bad even if she tried to keep her hopes up that one day, a ship on the horizon would appear that carried Harp. Deep inside Liz knew he wasn't a sailor and that chances were small that he would be able to cross the Ocean. Though there was still the small flame that burned inside her that Grace told Harp about Liz' pregnancy.

When night fell over the Ocean and darkness settled into the old ship, most sailors went to their cabins or below deck to catch some rest. It was then that Lord Benton summoned her for eating dinner with him.

At first, she had refused to eat anything while he sat before her, but soon her hunger won over her stubbornness. Starving herself wasn't an option she had, not this time, and Liz found herself eating every dinner served with great appetite. Even if the bread was stale and the cookies hard.

The cook took a liking to her. He offered her free food during the times she helped in the kitchen and they soon became friends. The man, just like the Captain, took pity on her. And Elizabeth wasn't afraid to use that pity in her advantage. Everything to survive. Anything to have her child coming to this world healthy and strong.

Benton himself told her that he loved her new attitude.Even though she faked it, Elizabeth had forced a smile on her lips. One that he gladly took in, not knowing she was killing him in her mind in the most horrific ways she could think of.

When the green grass and hills of beautiful Scotland came into view from a distance, Elizabeth stood deck. Her hands on the railing of the ship, her gaze towards the land she once grew up in. Even the scent that lingered in the air brought back memories of her brothers and herself playing in the forests ; tracking wildlife for fun, playing hide and seek,...

"It's beautiful, isn't it, my dear?"
It was beautiful..She agreed silently with Lord Benton while her hand came to rest on her belly. But, it wasn't her home anymore. Canada was...or wherever Declan was.

"Our boy can grow up here," Benton mused from behind her and her features froze while Liz' fingers clenched the wooden beam she held. "He will get the best teachers, the best friends and I'll ..."

Elizabeth glanced over her shoulder to him, a vague sneer on her lips while she nodded.

"Of course," her voice dripped sarcasm that even Benton noticed. Her eyes traveled over Benton's face and frame, as if she was scanning a weak spot she hadn't noticed before. She took him in while Benton glared at her with discomfort.