Chapter 4

Liz POV - Benton's ship

Trigger Warning : this chapter contains mild violence. If you're sensitive to this, I suggest you skip a few paragraphs or the entire chapter. - XoXo Aysline

She was speechless at first - Chesterfield glanced at her for just a moment before he started to pace back and forth in the small cabin. His hand ran over the little desk before he leaned against is with his hip. Crossing his arms, his eyes locked with Liz and she felt her blood ran cold. Her lips pursed together, hands in fists and Liz remembered the dagger she had put in her boot when she struggled against Vladimir -  the Bounty Hunter.

"How did you get here? Did Grace see you?"

Chesterfield smiled wide, his white teeth flashing and Liz felt her rage rise up inside her. It made her body tremble visibly. It didn't go by unnoticed by Chesterfield who cocked his head to the side, eyes filled with amusement.

"My dear wife has no idea I'm here," he said, biting on one of his fingernails, the grin never left his face. "When I heard Lord Benton was back, I had no choice to ... go to him again."

"You begged him," Liz gritted through her teeth, "to take you back."

That struck a nerve. Chesterfield took one big step towards her. The movement made Liz take a small back, but the back of her legs already touched the bed behind her.

"Benton needs me," Chesterfield snarled.

"He doesn't," Liz spat, "you're pathetic, Chesterfield. You've got a wife who doesn't love you and your a dog obeying its master. Even after he struck you so many times. You're - nothing."

Chesterfield glared at her and moved fast. His hands went to her throat, pushing her back onto the bed and he loomed over her. The grin had left his face, now there was only a sneer.

"I heard your little conversation with Grace," he whispered. His hand travelled to her belly and Liz froze in place. "You're pregnant with Harp's bastard. Imagine what Benton would do..."

"Enough," Liz struggled against his hold again with one hand, the other travelled to her boot.

"I'm sure he'd like to know this joyful new that his fiancee is with child!"

"You're not telling him shit," Liz locked eyes with him, voice calm and for the first time since all this shit started, she wasn't afraid of Chesterfield. "No one," she said, "will hurt my child."

Chesterfield must've seen the venom in her features, or maybe it was the calmness that suddenly surrounded her, but he started to let her go and retreat. Too late. Liz her hand came down behind him, planting the small dagger in the back of his neck. Hard.

The former Governor of Fort James widened his eyes in surprise, froze in place while looming over her. His hand went to the back of his neck when Lis gritted her teeth and turned the dagger. She wasn't going to let him live, not this time.

When Chesterfield started to struggle and groan, Elizabeth pulled the dagger back. Only to plant it between his shoulder blades. This time, the Captain shouted out of pain, realising what she was doing and tried to get away from her.

But, Liz used her legs. Circled them around his hips to hold him close with all her might. A strength she didn't know she had took control over her when the dagger pushed down into his flesh again. She left multiple stab wounds all across his back, blood poured down from the back of his neck onto her face. Liz closed her lips to keep herself from swallowing the warm, crimson liquid.

She groaned herself, trying to keep him close to her while her weapon went in his back again and again. Until, Chesterfield's body went limp above her. Falling on top of her and Liz felt the air being knocked out of her due to his heaviness.

Her fingers let go of the dagger, the weapon dropped on the floor and she carefully turned her head to face Chesterfield. His face was hanging next to hers, eyes wide open, blood streamed out of his mouth. He wasn't breathing, nor moving anymore. And relief washed over her before Elizabeth started to struggle to push him off.

Chesterfield's body fell on the floor with a soft thump sound and she got up. Holding herself steady by one of the beams in the room when nausea hit her again. Wiping the blood of her face with the back of her hand, her gaze locked on the lifeless Chesterfield beneath her.

She never killed before. Liz thought that she killed Chesterfield once, but when it turned out he survived her first attack she felt disappointed.

For some reason, Elizabeth thought she'd feel panic. Or guilt. But, she didn't feel anything. He was going to tell Benton about the child growing in her womb and Liz was sure she'd do anything now to keep her child safe.

Apparently, killing was something she didn't mind doing when it came to the little one growing inside her.

She took another deep breath before thinking about how to dispose of the body when Grace entered the chamber. Elizabeth locked eyes with the red-head who looked horrified at the bloody sight in the room.

"He was going to tell Benton," Liz started, but Grace held up her hand.

The woman was trembling on her feet, but shook her head slowly.

"I won't need an annulment now," she murmured, her foot kicked Chesterfield on the ground.

"We need to hide him," Elizabeth stated carefully while she grabbed a blanket, not entirely sure why she needed one. Didn't people hide bodies in blankets?

"No need, my dear," the voice of Benton sounded from the door opening, making both Liz and Grace turn on their heels to face him.

Benton grinned while he looked at Chesterfield's body on the floor. "You took care of that little problem for me," he started, "Chesterfield thought he'd get away with betraying me. I wanted to hang him as soon as we arrived at the Northern Outpost. But, I guess, this is okay too. I'll give orders to drop his body into the ocean."

Both women glanced at each other before Benton stepped over Chesterfield and went to stand before them - hands behind his back.

"Clean yourselves up, ladies," he smiled and touched Liz' face with his thumb, wiping away a smear of blood. She recoiled from his touch, but Benton didn't seem to notice. "We're reaching the Outpost in a couple of hours. We'll go to land."

"Why," Liz asked, deserving a look from Grace next to her.

"Because," Benton smiled while turning around, "a Black Wolf is on his way and I need you two for bait for catching him."

Liz swallowed hard, wanted to take a step towards the man and hit him in the face. But Grace grabbed her arm and held her. Benton looked at Elizabeth amused with a sparkle in his eyes that she never saw before.

"And after we've caught the wolf, my dear, we'll skin him."